It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

raefactor HB User
Does this sound like a musicogenic partial seizure?

Hi, I haven't been here in a long time, but I'm looking for answers. Does this sound like a seizure to you? (copy-pasted for my sanity)

Quote:
I'm listening to a familiar song in church. The music is loud enough you can't hear people cough but not so loud you can't hear someone whisper directly into your ear. Suddenly I hear the notes go up or down and realize we're coming up on a certain "bad" note a second or two before it hits. I get a panicky feeling just before it starts.

I feel an electrical shiver go down my spine, and my arms and thighs and neck spasm and I gasp involuntarily and collapse forward while spasming... or else my muscles "lock" against my will and I hold my breath (even if I don't want to) for the duration. Usually by then my body has adjusted to the noise, but in some cases each note seems to be 10 times worse and it goes on and on until I finally adjust and can finally sit up and breathe normally again.

The whole time I can't think clearly, I lose control of my facial expression (it usually turns into a grimace, a pained look, or a completely blank expression), and often I feel like I'm rising up or else falling. Afterwards I feel drained but of course I have to do it again. It does feel like being startled even though I expect the sound, but is the panic while having this (even when it's self-induced) indicate something else?

I ask because for a while it worsened so that getting into a hot shower or putting on clothes straight from the drier triggered this same sort of reaction, which afaik is NOT linked to neurological problems. It was also being triggered by certain colors and blinking patterns. [This has since cleared up since I started experimenting with Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs Oils] The reactions were slightly different (there was no vertigo or sensation of moving up or down quickly) in these two types of twitches, but they felt similar and both had some dizziness. I just want to know what's going on.
I hope no one minds helping me out... I've been searching for answers for several years now, and I've been dealing with this all my life. I'd really like to be able to go to at least church if not concerts and stuff!

Thanks a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: Does this sound like a musicogenic partial seizure?

I wonder if it's a panic attack and not a seizure.
There are conditions, like autism, for example, where certain sounds can make a person have really awful emotional reactions (which can become physical reactions)... Have you looked into that at all?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
(female)

raefactor HB User
Re: Does this sound like a musicogenic partial seizure?

at 15 months of age and younger, though? I do experience panic attacks and they are nothing like this. Also, they don't last anywhere near long enough. I also have Sensory Integration Disorder and my experiences with other stimulii are nothing like this... sound/music in general does not do this to me but this feels like my brain is shorting out for a second due to loud/certain pitches, lol. And while autism runs in my family I am completely free of anything on the PDD spectrum.

Also, this happens even when I'm relaxed, enjoying the music, totally stress free, etc. I can induce it in myself for "fun" as the auras feel so much like riding a roller coaster. I've been looking into it and the type I would have if I DID have seizures (simple partial) last the same range of time as my weird spasms do.

I guess I'll call the doctor and have an EEG done to try to figure it out.

Quote:
I wonder if it's a panic attack and not a seizure.
There are conditions, like autism, for example, where certain sounds can make a person have really awful emotional reactions (which can become physical reactions)... Have you looked into that at all?

Last edited by raefactor; 07-01-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Closed Thread