It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Question why is it that some drs thinks seizures are in our heads ???

hi all i had my MRI done the 30th doing EEG the 9th ,and i went to a internal med dr and he said i didnt have a seizure plus the neuro dr im seeing says if he cant find anything on the test he wants me to see a psychiastrist why ? its not in my head i went from dec 07 to april 08 without any seizures once i was put on depakote er 1000 mgs how could this be in my head i sure dont wish to fall down i have no control over them ,i have heard that sometimes it may take yrs before they find out its really seizures ,im doing what i done when i was age 4 my aunt did it too my brother has EP plus a uncle .and if its in my head why did it wait till now to come back plus it came back slow may 06 then sept then dec then in 07 i just got worse im not scared to leave my house i can be cleaning my house and all of a sudden get dizzy and get that strange feeling then i fall.when i had the MRI i done fine up to the last few mins then all of a sudden i started shaking so bad i couldnt stop i saw blurs of the ladies but not there faces i couldnt talk nor move then i got real dizzy and my head started hurting and i had to wait a few mins to come out of it the ladies said it sure looked like a seizure to them my eyes flickered and they felt like they were rolling back in my head they said they got GOOD PICTURES i sure hope it showed something to where all these drs will believe me and not keep saying its in my head and want me to go to see a psychiatrist im not depressed i was till i started zoloft 25 mgs its helped alot now as for anxiety i do have that but i have had it my whole life but never knew it and at times i get them horrible panic attacks ,my dr the internal he still gives me the xanax but im wondering if i was to come off would i still have seizures see back in may 07 i went cold turkey and i was on 3-1 mgs a day and i didnt have any seizures alls i got was w/d's which are horrible but i keep telling myself i want off but i cant do it alone plus what if i did come off i dont want a panic attack plus i do not want to end up like some people who abuse them i dont know what the right thing to do is .theres a rehab to help me come off they use (phenobarbitol) does anyone know anything about this drug and how it works in my pamlet sheet with my depakote it says i cant take it while on depakote ,plus which is better the reg depakote or the er ? and onemore thing if its not seizures and i take the seizure medications and it stops the seizures does this mean its seizures? i believe it is after all we all know our own bodies better then anyone else ,even if this neuro dr has had 40 yrs dealing with seizures and EP they can still be wrong ,and another thing not sure if this is whats going on but my b/p has been running like 99/69 is that low ?? i feel fine though im just trying to figure this out but if it was b/p my eyes and shaking and all that other stuff wouldnt happen would it.
thanks for listening hope to hear back from someone soon i see neuro dr july 25th on the MRI and EEG but if he finds something will he call sooner???? also which is better the reg depakote or the er? so far the reg is helping alot but the er did too only it made me sleep too much .
thanks
vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 07-03-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: why is it that some drs thinks seizures are in our heads ???

im not giving up till i get a answer also if the depakote stops the seizures does this mean its seizures my neuro dr said if it wasnt seizures then the depakote wouldnt have worked is this true ?? i dont care how many neuro drs i have to see i know my body and i know its not panic i know its seizures and im NOT seeing no psychiatrist done seen more of them then i need to what i need is a good neuro dr who understands and sometimes the tests dont allways come back right they sometimes go by symtons and when i take the depakote it stops the seizures when i stop the meds the seizures come back so that tells me its seizures plus i get the horrible headaches too and so far they have not found anything that helps right now im on darvacets 2 a day but 2 dont work im asking him about this migrane med my 2 sisters took and they dont have the headaches like they did before they have them once in a while but they use otc meds now.
vickie

Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
(male)

Mediocrates HB User

Vickie, I don't think you should passively accept the answer that you couldn't have had a seizure. The other physician is right; the anti-seizure drug would have had no effect unless there was a seizure condition present.

Problem is, many doctors are not particularly educated about epilepsy. Practically anyone who has epilepsy knows as much or more than the average general practitioner. That's just my opinion.

You mention your sisters taking migraine medication. That is telling because both epilepsy and migraines are neurological conditions.

Keep posting back, especially after your appointment, and tell how things are going for you.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

ONE Doctor (I stress that number strongly) was trying to imply my friend didn't have seizures. I spent hours talking with him about the medical side. His EEG came out fine, the "spells" he DID HAVE were so short (but many) that "they couldn't possibly be seizures" (so said the doc). The MRI did indicate something thankfully.

The Doctor then, somewhat under duress, and not wanting to deal a lot with the patient, said "you don't have seizures, you have pseudo -seizures". Needless to say a quick retort of why is the term SEIZURE in that name then if they are not seizures stopped the doctor cold in his tracks. He had to change his planned approach and go for treatment rather than dismiss a patient.

They wanted to try and push him off to a Psych as well. He didn't need his head shrunk, he needed meds to help control the seizures.

Sometimes it's just finding the diagnosis and doctor that is willing to work with you and not fight you.

The other way to get your way is to take the reigns (control). They won't like you, but don't let them PUSH you. When my old clinic told me they wanted to put me back on an old medication that I KNEW wouldn't work I REFUSED flat out. I refused to have the VNS implant when he was pushing it on me and told the doc I will go through all possible medications before I even start to look at any operation as an option.

Besides, they can't do anything without your permission. If you don't agree it's out the window. If you don't want to change meds don't. We hold more cards then most patients realize.

This is where, if you have a clear diagnosis, knowing the meds and your history helps your side when dealing with clinics. When it is yet to be clearly diagnosed as for WHY, that has to be done first before you can progress into the best treatment.

--Travis

Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

beth11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
ONE Doctor (I stress that number strongly) was trying to imply my friend didn't have seizures. I spent hours talking with him about the medical side. His EEG came out fine, the "spells" he DID HAVE were so short (but many) that "they couldn't possibly be seizures" (so said the doc). The MRI did indicate something thankfully.

The Doctor then, somewhat under duress, and not wanting to deal a lot with the patient, said "you don't have seizures, you have pseudo -seizures". Needless to say a quick retort of why is the term SEIZURE in that name then if they are not seizures stopped the doctor cold in his tracks. He had to change his planned approach and go for treatment rather than dismiss a patient.

They wanted to try and push him off to a Psych as well. He didn't need his head shrunk, he needed meds to help control the seizures.
i am replying as i have been diagnosed 5 yr ago as having psudo seizures at first they thought epilepsy then they did eeg and it was clear was treated like i was a nut case fortunately they did improve bt still had them at a night time recently have returned was took to hossy the accident and emergency dr were lets say very cold towards me again like oh it not a fit ect it is very baffaling and i work on a ward
Sometimes it's just finding the diagnosis and doctor that is willing to work with you and not fight you.

The other way to get your way is to take the reigns (control). They won't like you, but don't let them PUSH you. When my old clinic told me they wanted to put me back on an old medication that I KNEW wouldn't work I REFUSED flat out. I refused to have the VNS implant when he was pushing it on me and told the doc I will go through all possible medications before I even start to look at any operation as an option.

Besides, they can't do anything without your permission. If you don't agree it's out the window. If you don't want to change meds don't. We hold more cards then most patients realize.

This is where, if you have a clear diagnosis, knowing the meds and your history helps your side when dealing with clinics. When it is yet to be clearly diagnosed as for WHY, that has to be done first before you can progress into the best treatment.

--Travis

Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

well all had my eeg and my husband was in the room and saw me the whole time he said tv thing had waves and they were going up and down all over the place i was shaking bad couldnt talk saw my eyes flicker and rolling back in my head what does the waves jumping up and down mean my husband said it looked weird said it was going crazy i couldnt speack and when she put the lights in front of me they got worse and omg i saw weird stuff and i was moaning and my hands were shaking uncontrolable and when it was all over i was so tired but it was the worst thing i ever saw or went through and the mri was about the same i did the shaking and my eyes rolled up couldnt talk nothing so can anyone give me some advice about the waves he said the lady told him look at that did you see that at the eeg and she told him it sure looked like seizures to her so what is the waves meaning on the screen ?? i have appt 25th .and im still looking for new internal med dr too also some people here told me that you dont get depression with seizures well i sure do but maybe its not from the seizures maybe its just depression right?? i know this girl who told me she gets depression from her seizures so im not sure but iam on a/d's .
thanks vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 07-14-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Re:Your depression question

Yes epileptics can (and frequently) suffer depression. Often it is due to their newly diagnosed condition, or failure to accept it. Also with problems in general employment, transportation, some in the family that may arise. It's working through these issues, and if need be professional help for those than can't admit they have seizures.

Sometimes just talking about the issues/problems is more help then one thinks. I highly recommend that (talking it out) professional or with trusted friends, whatever works; over additional medications. Whatever works best for everybody's own case.

The same applies for other medical conditions when they are diagnosed, or when "new" issues arise that otherwise were from a "healthy" person. It's a hill to climb. How steep and how long depends on the person and their willingness to face it (the problem in front of them).

--Travis

Last edited by Travis from MN; 07-14-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
(male)

headless2000 HB User

The seizures are always in our heads, however if visiting a doctor or your Neurologist, your test's from an EEG or an MRI can come back normal and no sign of epilepsy or seizures. This just means that during the test's that there was no seizure activity at that time. But it dose not mean that your not epileptic or having seizures.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

The waves on the screen always are kind of all over the place just because of different stimuli in our environment. But I think certain types of waves are considered seizures.
I was in the hospital for a VEEG for three days and I had to press a button every time I felt a seizure coming on, and then they asked me my symptoms. They told me when I was going home that there were a lot of times that I pressed the button and they didn't see any seizure activity on the EEG. But a few times they did. That didn't mean it wasn't happening the times where they didn't see anything abnormal, just that some of the seizures could have been happening deeper in my brain than the EEG could read. This could be your case because what you're having certainly sounds like seizures. Definitely get a second opinion if you're not happy with what the doctor says.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hey all low blood pressure wouldnt look like a seizure would it? i mean the eye flickering and the stifening and the shaking all over ? cause what i do is like i said i get nervous and just fall to the ground and my eyes do that rolling in the back of my head and shaking all over and then real tired .i just found out my b/p was going to low i was on b/p pills 10 mgs so the dr had me stop them but b/p wouldnt look like a seizure would it .you know with the eyes and all that and the moaning and screeming .i have a new appt with neuro dr aug 7th .and i found a new internal also for aug 1st .so like i said im not giving up and as for the seizures yes i do think it is seizures like yesterday i was sitting and all of a sudden i got that scared feeling then i ended up sleeping for like 4 hrs i was talking to my brother on the phone and my daughter had to take the phone my eyes did that flickering and i just started shaking so i took a long nap so low b/p wouldnt make you think its seizures would it??? im just wondering so far since stopping the b/p pills its been doing good like 115/70 or 120/ 80 sometimes its a little lower like 105/65
thanks vickie

Old 07-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
(male)

headless2000 HB User
Red face Re: why is it that some drs thinks seizures are in our heads ???

Seizures are in the head! But---even if you have seizures or have epilepsy your EEG or MRI can come back normal with no signs of it. It took my drs over 1 1/2 years to figure out that I had a seizure disorder.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
(male)

headless2000 HB User

It is also a fact that some seizures can be stoped and you not having to be on med's for the seizures, this is only because if you get any kind of emotional problems, this could mean that this is where area in your brain where the seizure acctivity is taking place, and some dr's tend to think that if the emotional problems can be solved that the seizure's will stop. But it usualy doesn't work that way and they end up having to put you on medication anyways.

Closed Thread