It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

crystalk13 HB User
Unhappy friend died from siezure

My best friend died from having a seizure. She had epilepsy and was taking medication but her siezures still were not controlled. She had been fighting the battle for 4 years after her diagnosis. She was found on the floor dead and the autopsy determined she died from a seizure. I thought this sort of thing wasn't suppose to happen to people. I also had epilepsy and was told that death from seizures is just unheard of yet it happened. I am so confused about this.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: friend died from siezure

search for SUDEP. Sudden Death from Epilepsy.

Trying to simplify it. Usually it occurs during sleep. Often breathing stops as a result of the seizure. Foreign objects at times can be a relating factor (pillow). Most of these cases were patients that were on poly therapy (multiple medications) and had been hard to control their seizures.

A country in Europe did a study on this as did a clinic in the midwest. It has only recently been started to be studied. (Let me find my notes) In a city with 3000 deaths per year those attributed to SUDEP were 1-1.4. So the percentage is small.

The doctor that did this presentation did not give us handouts, and my notes are incomplete. I'm in a rush to get out right now.

There is not much that can be done to prevent these cases. If they are seeing their doctors, taking their meds, doing what they are told to, nothing could be done. The other cases are patients that are NOT maintaining their upkeep.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread