It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Sleep and seizures?

In the last 2 months, I've had 3 neuro events that I think might be seizures, but not sure. Never had anything like this happen before.

The first one, I was in bed trying to fall asleep. All of a sudden, I heard a fluttering sound in my left ear. At the same time, felt electrical shocks going through my body and saw bright yellow flashes in sync with the fluttering. Lasted maybe 5-10 seconds.

The second one, I was in bed, just having woken up from a nap. My jaw started chattering and then my arms and legs started having huge tremors. At the same time, I heard an electrical buzzing sound in my left ear and it felt like my brain was being zapped. I was aware through it all. Couldn't move or talk (tried to call out for hubby - wanted him to see). It lasted for maybe 15 seconds.

The third one just happened Tues night. I had crashed on the sofa and woke up to find my right hand having a major tremor. Lasted about 10 seconds. Hubby says I'd gotten up twice during the night, wandered aimlessly around the house, and kept repeating that I was going to bed. I have only have a vague memory of getting up once and telling him I was going to bed.

Don't really know what's going on. I'm having other sleep issues as well. Constantly tired. Only sleeping 4-5 hours a night, if that. No problems falling asleep, but frequently wake up at some obscene hour of the morning unable to get to sleep again. I've also noticed that sometimes I have dreams before I'm fully aleep. All my dreams are extremely vivid and often violent and scary. The sleep stuff has been constant for over 6 months now, although I've had monthly cycles of it for years (a few months of this and then back to normal).

MRI showed a very small white matter lesion in my basal ganglia which the radiologist says is nonsymptomatic, but that's it. CT scans have been clear. No EEG yet. I have an appt with a neuro on the 17th.

I'd really appreciate any insight you could give me. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: Sleep and seizures?

Hello,
What you are describing sounds like either nocturnal epilepsy, a sleep disorder, or both.
The fluttering in the ears happens to me upon waking when I'm having an episode with sleep paralysis (which is supposedly not related to seizures, but it only happens around times that I'm having seizures). And the dreaming before fully asleep is something that happens to me too, which I didn't know was abnormal until recently, and my research pointed me towards Narcolepsy (of which sleep paralysis was also a symptom).
Seeing a Neurologist is a good first step. He will definitely have you have an EEG, and might also send you for a sleep study.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I don't know if you have kept records on when these happen... another thing to look at is WHEN during the month they occur (in relation to cycle).

They also sound like boarder-line "walking seizures". However since you said they all have occurred during sleep, that most likely is not a correct statement. Walking seizures occur when a person is awake mainly.

--Travis

Old 07-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Thank you both for your input! I really appreciate it.

SentenceDoing,
That's kind of what I'm thinking. What's wierd is the episodes have been different each time. I'd always thought once you got seizures, they were more or less consistant. I've done a little reading about Narcolepsy. The only time I get anything like cataplexy (feels like there's a drop of water in my right ear, feel faint and weak. can usually breathe through it) is if I get seriously scared while driving, and I always thought it was anxiety related. Going to keep an open mind when seeing the neuro.

Travis,
I have some other health stuff going on, so I'm keeping very detailed records of what happens when. May 8th, May 27th, July 8th. I'm not currently having cycles (haven't had them since April). I've looked at when my cycles were supposed to occur in regard to these episodes and there's no obvious correlation. Still, since my hormonal regulation seem to be seriously screwed up, there might be some connection after all.

I'd never heard of a walking seizure before. I'm assuming it's just what it sounds like? I've only had the walking episode once, that I know of. Hubby's been keeping a close eye on me and this is the only episode like this he's mentioned. This is also the only episode that's happened during sleep. The other two happened when I was either trying to get to sleep or waking up.

A few more questions, if you don't mind.

Is it possible for someone to wake up at the onset or during a seizure? (referring to the latest episode on Tuesday)

Emotions during seizures - I think I should have been completely freaked out when these were happening. I wasn't. Instead, I was completely calm. When they happen, I'm aware and observing what's happening with an almost clinical detachment. Is this normal/common? I've done a little reading on seizures and haven't seen apathy or complete lack of any emotional response listed. It's only some time afterwards (sometimes days) that it dawns on me what happened and that's when I start getting worried/scared.

Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxie63 View Post
Thank you both for your input! I really appreciate it.

A few more questions, if you don't mind.

Is it possible for someone to wake up at the onset or during a seizure? (referring to the latest episode on Tuesday)

Emotions during seizures - I think I should have been completely freaked out when these were happening. I wasn't. Instead, I was completely calm. When they happen, I'm aware and observing what's happening with an almost clinical detachment. Is this normal/common? I've done a little reading on seizures and haven't seen apathy or complete lack of any emotional response listed. It's only some time afterwards (sometimes days) that it dawns on me what happened and that's when I start getting worried/scared.

Thanks again!

During the seizure itself there isn't much the patient (we) can do. Afterwards, in recovery it may take 30-60 minutes for example to fully recover. I have witnessed a person, unsure if it was post seizure stage or what. It was after the "obvious" seizure. However she would go into a "earlier" (historic?) time in her life where she had to do tasks in the house (cleaning). That would last for a few minutes, then she would change her shirt, lay down for a minute, come out and be back to normal unaware of her actions or how long it was.

However to have any feelings about what you are doing or what's going on to your body DURING that time is nearly impossible. The brain is having a short circuit, the thought process is being disrupted. Memory of that time is often lost. It all depends what region of the brain the seizure occurs I would gather.

POST SEIZURE thoughts and feelings on the other hand are another story. We are thinking about what just occurred, how to deal with it, how it may effect us (cause-effect thoughts) oftentimes; sometimes the "why me" when it first starts.

Closed Thread