It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

Mo7609 HB User
37 and suffered a gran mal seizure while driving

Last Tuesday night I was in the store and was feeling very euphoric; had a very bad feeling but brushed it off. Got in my expedition and started the 2 mile drive back home. Apparentley as I was getting close to home I suffered a gran mal sezure that landed me in the hopital for 3 days totalled my car and sent another car 127 feet down the road. I thank God that I was in the Expedition and not in the camry or I would have been dead for sure. My husband and children heard the crash from 2 blocks away and came running into the night. I actually woke my husband from a deep sleep. I must have pushed on the accelerator when I stated seizing causing me to crash into a parked car thank God again that I was the only one injured. 2 broken feet and fratures to my chest. It was said the reason I had the seizure was from a combo of meds my Dr had me on which was LExapro for depression and tramadol for back pain. Although seizure can happen mixing the 2 my Dr felt it was such a long shot and not to worry. A week prior to that I had gone to his office and he wasn't there and had to see the other Dr. I was complaining that I was having vision problems since taking the tramadol and he basically called me a drug seeker and sent me away said that there was nothing he could do for me come back when my Dr was there. Obviously I never got that chance. The big ? here is has anyone experience vision problems blurriness? Is that a sign of the Epilepsy and is it common for me to have to be on Keppra for life? thanks for listening and thtnk God we are all here to share our stories. Mo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
(female)

jschooly HB User
Re: 37 and suffered a gran mal seizure while driving

Dear Mo,

This is horrendous and the way you were treated at the Dr. office borders on malpractice as far as I'm concerned. Glad you got away with your life.

I don't know if you have addiction problems. I do and I am trying to get off of Tramadol. My doctor is having me taper from 6 - 5 - 4 etc. week by week. She says when I get to 4 to use the clonidine patch which she prescribed. She has also put me on Trazedone to help with insomnia and w/d symptoms. I have read on the blogs several people complaining of or worried about seizures with Tramadol. I have not experienced that but I have experienced terrible depression and anger when I tried to stop on my own.

Best of luck to you. Your story is a reminder of how fragile we all are.

J

Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

Mo7609 HB User

thanks for your reply. No I don't have an addiction problem.... I guess it was the combo of the anti depressant and the tramadol which is what the pharmacist said could happen when I filled the scripts 6 months ago. Unfortunately my Dr felt that the benifits out weighed the cons of me not taking it. He is only human; its the other Dr that I am so angry with! I did see my regular Dr on Monday and obviously he took me off the tramadol and gave me something else and feels that this won't happen again and that I won't have to keep taking the Kepra for too long. Today I have to go to a priority re examination at the dMV in San Diego to see if they are going to let me keep my licence. I pray to God that it turns out ok. Again I appreciate at least 1 person giving me their imput and would love to hear more...... this is very scary to me and my family. Thanks Mo

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
(male)

Mediocrates HB User

Mo, that does sound very scary. I didn't think any of my experiences would help you, though I did read your post and empathized with your situation; I read all new posts in the E section here, though I don't always keep up with the threads.

Fortunately my seizures are garden variety partials, all at night - at least so far. I do not experience vision problems during the seizures, although too much Carbatrol does cause me major vision problems.

How did things go at the DMV?

Closed Thread