It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

kellic873 HB User
14 yr old boy

Hi. I have a 14 yr old son who had 2 grand mal seizures 6 months apart in 2006. MRI & EEG results came back normal. We took him to the neurologist and decided not to put him on meds at the time. Mainly because he had rapidly hit puberty and thought it may have a lot to do with his rapid growth and hormones. Well, he had one grand mal two weeks ago and two more this past Saturday. He now has an appointment with the neurologist in August for another EEG followed by an appointment. I am looking at every possible cause. I know everyone says "you may never know what causes them", but I'm hard headed. I thought it couldn't hurt to look into what other people are saying. Any info that you would like to send my way, I would appreciate it.
Also, does anyone here know of colors triggering a seizure? I know certain colors of red and blue on tv and video games can do it, but what about colors of walls and so forth?
Thanks
Kelli

Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
(male)

Mediocrates HB User
Re: 14 yr old boy

Kelli,

This won't help determine what causes them, beyond genetics, but for the next appointment it would be helpful for you to know of any blood relations who have had not only seizures but other conditions such as migraine headaches.

As for specific colors, I've not heard of these as possible triggers but seizures are so individualized that it's possible.

All the best to you and your son.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

About the colors. If the person is "photo sensitive" flashing lights are the "cause" of seizures in those cases. Even movement of light between leaves can be enough with some.

As for the colors, vivid colors, patterns, and a large range in contrasting colors in a room COULD cause problems (with motion), usually with the photosensitive patients. This means stick with solids, closer to neutrals (tans for example for carpet). If Wall is one color, Carpet is another it defines the room, but you don't have "lines" or "squares" that could upset the eyes on the wall or floor.

For those of us that just have seizures (not effected by lights) it usually doesn't matter. For example I can be right in front of a stage (concert) and the lasers, strobes, and standard lights have no effect on me. Only ONCE was I effected by a strobe for photos (roller coaster ride) and it was not a full blown seizure.

Also watch out for Long Tubes (cycle rate of bulb) and if THEY cause problems for the person (headache may be an early indication).

--Travis

Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

kellic873 HB User

Thanks. There is no family history of seizures/migraines as far as I know. I hope maybe we will find out more after this next EEG. The reason I ask about the colors is because he had his first seizure about 3-4 weeks after we painted his room red (huge Georgia Football fan). I know it is probably just a coincidence...but hey.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
(female)

nomorenekkiddog HB User

HI Kellie

I am a newbie too. This past december, 1 1/2 weeks before christmas, my 14 yr old had a grand mal at school that lasted 20 + minutes. THey hauled him to er in an ambulance as he had never had one before and they were having a hard time getting him out of it. They ran all the normal tests as far as bloodwork, cat scan etc. They were all normal and they sent him home about 2 hrs later. THen he kep having series of partial seizures. The first eeg didn't reveal anything but a week later I actually saw him have a simple one where his eyes rolled up and out and his arm flipped as we were talking. I had to remind him of what we were discussing. That same day he also threw a box of cereal across the room from a seizure. I called the neuro and he had me come in immediately and they did an eeg right then and they told him to push the button if he thought he felt one and he did and it was exactly what they needed. THe MRI showed a "small" abnormality on his left temporal lobe. But they didn't feel it was enough to cause the problem.

Hang in there. There is no family history that we know of in our family either, however we do have migraines, and he started with them very early in life too. It has been a rough road but keep at these drs and make them find out what is wrong with him. Just thought you would like to know you are not alone. My sone was diag with JME in January this year. And as long as he takes his meds, he has little to no seizure activity.

JOlene

Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
(female)

kellic873 HB User

I know a lot of adolescents have them then as they go into their adult years, they cease. That is what I'm hoping for but for now I hope he can get on a med that prevents them totally (since he has not had that many). If you don't mind me asking, what is your son taking and what side effects has he had to deal with?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
(female)

nomorenekkiddog HB User

I am hoping too that they cease when he gets older, but I am not holding my breath that it will happen either. Sidney takes keppra, twice a day. The only side effect he has is headaches. In the beginning when he would forget to take it, he would get bad headaches when he would take it again. Since, he has learned, that if he takes it like he is supposed to, that he doesn't get the headaches, but more important, he doesn't have seizures either. I think that he has finally gotten into a good habit of taking them because he does not like waking up with chewed tongues and total exhaustion from the seizures.

As far as I can tell, the keppra totally keeps him seizure free as long as he takes it like he is supposed to and doesn't have all nighter video game parties, lol. He is a very independent kid, always has been. So I pretty much have to just keep checking and reminding, but for the most part he does it on his own now.

Good luck

Closed Thread