It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
(female)

aussiemum50 HB User
death of 15 year old son due to epileptic fit???

My eldest son died on 7 April 2008 in his sleep from what we first thought might have been an aneurysm in the brain. This was discounted by the coroners office and further tests are being carried out on tissue samples.

My youngest son who is nearly 13 years of age has just recently developed epilepsy and has three grand mal attacks in a week. He is now on medication to control his fits.

My question is if the eldest one died from a epileptic seizure could they tell this from the autopsy or would it be classed as an unknown cause.

Both boys had been diagnosed with ADHD a long time before this happened. I'd noticed my eldest son had been getting much more aggressive and didn't seem to realise the consequences when he physically hurt a classmate. He wasn't generally an aggressive boy but was very sensitive to teasing so we took him to his doctor and counsellor for this behaviour. His behaviour improved quite dramatically after this and his death was tragic because he was doing really well in class and socializing well.

I'm heartbroken that he died so unexpected could his behaviour of the past few weeks when he was having trouble be related to epilepsy? I'm told that some epilepsy can cause behaviour changes is this true?

Thanks

Jane

Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

EmmieEmmie HB User
Re: death of 15 year old son due to epileptic fit???

I am so sorry to hear of your son's death and I hope you get some answers.

Sudden death in epilepsy is very rare and usually occurs in people who have previously been diagnosed and have trouble controlling their seizures. Therefore, your son was a tragic and extremely rare statistic if he died from a seizure in his sleep.

I don't know enough about behavioural problems and how these affect the brain to comment further, but epilepsy can sometimes cause some behavioural changes although again, I cannot tell you a lot more than that, as it hasn't been part of my experience.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: death of 15 year old son due to epileptic fit???

Sudden Death in Epilepsy (SUDEP) is not easy to tell unless they know the person had suffered from epilepsy. Often times it's suffocation, or if the patient asphyxiates if they throw up and can't come to due to the seizures effects. It look's intentional if the team doesn't look deep enough.

Tissue sample will tell time of death. the other parts of the question are hard to answer. SUDEP is still being studied. There is a lot they don't know about the "why" part.

As for your youngest, the other thing to consider is his age. Growth hormones are kicking in, he is in a mixed up state of life. So social pressures may also have an effect on behavioral actions.

For SUDEP risks, some of the key indicators are 3+ medications, poor upkeep, overweight, failure to see doctors, poorly controlled seizures, not enough sleep.

SUDEP is a SMALL percentage (around 1-1.5 of the 3000 deaths from one data group; if I recall correctly... it may be a little lower).

--Travis

Closed Thread