It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

kiwi1960 HB User
learning disabilities in scotland

hi there all , i am new to this forum..i am the mother of a 27 yr old with epilepsy and learning disabilities, we are wanting to relocate to scotland and we are desperatly searching for any services for our daughter such as day centres activities, special needs, college groups, respite and in general help!also looking for possible residential placement in future is there anyone out there who has first hand knowledgeof any of these services around scotland?starting to feel like i am out on a limb at the moment...would be grateful for ANY info...a big thankyou in anticipation...

Old 08-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
(female)

loriy HB User
Re: learning disabilities in scotland

Hi,

Just surfing through and saw your post. I am sorry I can't help you with what you are asking. I just wanted to reach out to you. I have 23 year old son with learning disabilities and epilepsy. I posted a while back and didn't really hear from anyone with the same circumstances. Eventually my son will be moving out. We live in the states so I am working through the system and he is receiving supported employment,day support and personal support. My understanding is when he is ready to move out he will also be able to get supported living. One piece of advice, I had to turn into the witch from hell to get him the services he receives. I wish I could help you. I hope you find what you are looking for. If you just want to chat I am here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 03:40 AM   #3
(female)

kiwi1960 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriy View Post
Hi,

Just surfing through and saw your post. I am sorry I can't help you with what you are asking. I just wanted to reach out to you. I have 23 year old son with learning disabilities and epilepsy. I posted a while back and didn't really hear from anyone with the same circumstances. Eventually my son will be moving out. We live in the states so I am working through the system and he is receiving supported employment,day support and personal support. My understanding is when he is ready to move out he will also be able to get supported living. One piece of advice, I had to turn into the witch from hell to get him the services he receives. I wish I could help you. I hope you find what you are looking for. If you just want to chat I am here.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
(female)

kiwi1960 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriy View Post
Hi,

hi there and thankyou for your reply.....its nice to know that we are not the only people out there going through this...since i posted we have actually managed to find facilities for my daughter in a town called fort william in the highlands and we are making plans to start selling our house asap.I don't think people quite understand our predicament regarding our sons/daughters health complications.Over the years it has worn me down so much (don't get me wrong, i love her to bits) to the point where i feel as though i have no life of my own and have lost contact with lots of so called "friends" who think we are anti social because we don't go out with them but its such a performance to get someone in to "sit" a 27 year old so you can have a bit of a night out.I am hoping that once we get settled in scotland that things will start coming together socially for laurie (my daughter) and that eventually we will be able to find a place for her to live full time.so at the momet we are looking forward to a move and hopefully new beginnings...can't wait.....thanks very much for your contact, its greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
(female)

loriy HB User

Glad things are going better for you!! I understand the feeling of being worn down and not having a life. Don't feel bad. I have had many medical isssues that I think are stress related due to dealing with my son's situation.
Also it is hard to get together with people and not talk about him. This I think puts off people that haven't had to deal with a disabled child. I sound resentful..I'm not I love my son more than anything in the world.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

veronla21 HB User

Im a little unsure of whats going on in scottland but im sure there are some in the area aswell as shows that may help

Closed Thread