It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Doing research on pregnancy risks while on Keppra and Trileptal but results vary...

I been researching the risks and birth deffects that Keppra and Trilepta can cause. I been planning, waitting, and hoping that soon I could become a mom (yes I been careful to not get pregnant) until I understand all these problems with AEMs and pregnancy risk. I have heard from doctors one thing, but found different asnwers on the internet. For example, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) found Studies in animals that have shown some harm to the baby, but there haven't been any good studies of results in women Also they don't yet have enough information to be able to estimate the risk of various types of birth defects that might occur if Trileptal is taken during pregnancy. This is only 1 med, results for Keppra were closely similar but more harmful according to other websites ( FDA category C meds). I would appreciate any feedback from any person who has personally experienced or knows someone who was pregant while on these meds and what were their results. Were they changed to others meds instead? Thank you for your time and any other additional information from other researchs is greatly appreaciated.

P.S. I hit a 2 yr seizure free life 4/09 and been taking folic acid for a few months

Last edited by 030free; 07-29-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread