It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
(male)

liam21munro HB User
how do I know if I am having a seizure

how do I know if I am having a seizure

Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: how do I know if I am having a seizure

What have you experienced? Can you explain what you have gone through, or what others have seen?

--Travis

P.S. It's best to ask first so one does not "lead" others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

elizleigh HB User

Yes, give us some insight on any previous things you may have felt. Seizures vary so differently from person to person. There's no black and white really...

Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
(male)

Mediocrates HB User

Travis and elizleigh, I agree. The one generalization I would give is that seizures are, of course, involuntary.

liam, what are you experiencing that you think might be seizures?

Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
(female)

penny96 HB User

Hi Liam, I know I'm having a seizure when I get a rising feeling in my stomach similar to the feeling when you take off in an airplane. Also I tend to get a few twitches in my thumb. There are over 40 types of seizures so every seizure may have a different warning before a seizure, some won't have any warning.

Penny

Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
(female)

sunnbear2 HB User

Hi I'm wondering the same thing. Last night I had been home from work for about 2 hours. I was sitting on the bed with my husband watching a movie. All of the sudden I felt like I was getting slammed with the worst case of the flu ever. I felt like I was going to throw up. I couldnt believe that the flu could come on this quick. Kind of like I drank too much, but I didnt. and I had this real uneasy feeling and a little short of breath. I was totally aware of what was happening though. I started getting really shakey. It seamed to start in my left arm and then spread through the rest of my body. the shaking was totally unvolentary. I said to my husband, " I feel really weird. I feel all shakey." as it was getting wrose. It felt like I had really bad chills. I took my blood presure. It was 139 over 87 (not to bad but a little high for me. an my pulse was 99. the shaking slowed and then i felt fine (not sick any more. the same as before it happened) but I was so tired and my jaw and chin were sore. I felt week. I couldnt even think of lifting my arms. The whole thing lasted about 3 or 4 min. this same thing happened to me maybe about a year and a half ago. I dont know what it was but it kinda freeked me out.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
(female)

valeriedl HB User

For me, I don't know that I've had one until after it's over. I'll have someone with me that told me I had one - other than that I usually don't know.

Other time's I might get a wierd dizzy feeling and things in the room just don't look like they should be, like I think the TV should be on the other side of the living room, but it's where it should be. Sometimes that is when a sez will follow, but I have to have someone there to tell me that I've had one.

Usually too, if I've had a bad sez I get a really bad headache afterwards, that's another sign for me.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
(female)

bcg1970 HB User
Post Re: how do I know if I am having a seizure

I am concerned that I may be having seizures. for the past 6 months or so I have been experiencing mild "black outs" that would last for a few minutes but on 12/13/2010 I experienced something that scared me to death. I had just finished my EEG and went to get something to eat. After eating I was walking towards my Dr's office and I started experiencing heaviness in my legs, I told my ex-husband that I was tired from walking and the next thing I knew I was coming to in the Emergency Room. I don't remember even going to the ER. Then this morning (12/16/2010) I was on my way to work and my daughter (who was driving me) asked me why was I groaning/humming? I wasn't aware I was doing that and apparently it was a concern to her. Can anyone help me with what is going on with me. Oh yeah, my eeg was abnormal the clinical interpretation was "The findings are indicative of a focal disturbance of neuronal function involving the left temporal lobe. The possibility of a structural lesion in that area should be considered. this recording does not exclude the possibility of a seizure disorder."

Last edited by bcg1970; 12-16-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

bcg1970: First of all, welcome to the boards. Second, you've posted on a thread that's 2 years old and the last post was in Nov. 2009. Yes, it does sound like seizures. How old are you? If you're nearing menopause it could be due to hormones. I've posted alot of information on these boards about Catamenial Epilepsy. It's caused from too much estrogen. Estrogen Dominance. There are MANY triggers to it. Most are environmental in my book.

You need to see an endocrinologist and even a neuro-endocrinologist is even better. Hormones control your brain more than you know. If it's caused by estrogen dominance then meds won't work 100% for you. They might just keep you from having more seizures. I'm told that it will go away once menopause is over. I started having these seizures at 43 years old.

Please stop driving if you haven't already. It's a BIG inconvenience but don't do what I did and crash a car!

There are many types of seizures - Grand mal, petite mal, abscence, complex partial, simple partial.......... the list goes on. Mine are complex partial. There's no warning, no aura, to let you know something's coming. Then you'll have short term memory loss and not remember what happened.

Start keeping a log/calendar of your seizures so you can show the doctor when you're having them and record if they're happening right before, during and after your periods. Note the foods you've eaten too. Foods with MSG and Soy in them are triggers. Write down what you were doing when someone witnesses these. Every time you have a seizure you lose brain cells. You need to stay safe and don't be afraid to tell people you're having seizures so they'll know to keep you safe incase they see you having one.

Look around the boards and pull up the info on the Catamenial Epilepsy and then I'll try to help you if I can.

The following user gives a hug of support to 92261:
bcg1970 (12-17-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to 92261 For This Useful Post:
bcg1970 (12-17-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
(male)

thefish HB User

In my case, I didn't know I was having them. My wife figured something was wrong but couldn't quite figure out what. She brought me to a neurologist. He knew.

If u think you have them, see a doctor

Closed Thread