It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

kimberly72 HB User
Question my son has sezuires only with fever and he is 9

My son had 3 febrile sezuires when he was 2 and 3. They said it was febrile sezuires and he would out grow them by 6. He has not had one until this year and he has had 2 sezuires associated with fever only. They say he is to old to be having typical febrile sezuires. We had an eeg done last week and the pediatric office called today and said that the eeg showed abnormal results while he was asleep. We go to the neurologist on Monday. I am at a loss. Everything that I read says febrile sezuires only last until 5 or 6. He is perfectly fine unless he gets sick. Has anybody ever heard of this? Thank you for any help.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
(male)

RunnersDad HB User
Re: my son has sezuires only with fever and he is 9

It is uncommon for children to continue having Febrile seizures beyond 5 or 6 years old but not improbable or even hurtful as the majority of febrile seizures cause no damage.
Most Children with Febrile seizures will register a normal EEG but as with the aforementioned statement there are also children that do show some abnormalties on the EEG.
I think by following up with the neurologist you are doing the best thing for your child as it doesn't hurt to look into it.
Here is a link to some information on Febrile Seizures, you may have already seen it but if not I hope that it helps:
[url]http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic134.htm[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
(female)

basal1999 HB User

mine too, my son will be 8 in a couple of days, had a febrile at 3 and 4 and now a couple due to fever, granted he does have cerebral palsy, so he is prone to them, but they are saying the same thing to me, not febrile after 5,6.

i hear when you have seizure disorder you do have triggers and sometimes you can't figure it out, they are saying his fever is HIS "trigger", to me it REALLY is a febrile seizure.....??

it's very possible with my son that we could see more seizures w/o fevers, i hope not!!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
(female)

kimberly72 HB User

Thank you for the information,to both of you that have replied. We went to the Neurologist on Monday and he didn't seem to concerned,he did not want to start him on any medication. Which I am glad about ,but I am definetley concerned about him .The doctor said he showed some abnormalties on his eeg while sleeping. He had some patterns of excitability which made him think that he could possibly have sezuires one day without fever. It is so scary. I am always a nervous wreck and if somebody gets sick I automatically start Motrin but i know from past experiences that when he gets a fever it spikes quickly and the medication might help or might not. Is your child on sezuire medication since he only has them during fevers. Thank you.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

basal1999 HB User

he is not on meds, the neuro wants to wait and see, he had one 7 weeks ago, sunday, last night and this morn..........very recent!

he said to give him tylenol/motrin around the clock for 4 days to give him a break and we'll go from there.

i do NOT want to medicate, that's my biggest fear, that meds will make him loopy, etc..

kristin

Old 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
(female)

basal1999 HB User

how did he present during his febrile?

my son had full body convulsions (grand mal) unconscious, then vomiting..very scary.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
(female)

kimberly72 HB User

He has full body convulsions for less than a minute and then goes straight to sleep. He will wake up right after the sezuire if you wake him up but does not remember anything about the sezuire or us waking him up afterwards. He is usually fine within the hour. He has only had one with each sickness and it is usually before I even know he is really sick. It is his first sign of his sickness,which is really scary. I hope your son feels better soon.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
(male)

RunnersDad HB User

My son has a genetic seizure disorder and has presented in many different capacities. Based on how your son presents and the other information you have provided I think that he is simply having Febrile seizures and nothing more. Again, I think you are doing the best thing possible by following up with the neurologist but if he/she doesn't seem too concerned I would try to relax as well. Continue to keep an eye on your son...and if you notice anything abnormal(such as seizures occuring when he is not sick) contact your neurologist quickly.
I hope everything turns out ok!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
(female)

kimberly72 HB User

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. What do you think about the fact that they say he is to old to have febrile seizures. Does it just mean that he might always have seizures when he gets a fever instead of outgrowing them by a certain age?Thanks.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
(male)

RunnersDad HB User

Your welcome. Febrile seizures do occur past a certain age sometimes. Albeit uncommon, it does happen. And your son still may grow out of the seizures, but only time will tell.

Closed Thread