It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
(female)

desertmoon78 HB User
Troubling night

Hi,
Any help I could get here is really appreciated. This evening, I had a very troubling and new experience. I got out of a bath, and began drying off. This is when my trouble began. First, I felt incredibly dizzy, and I noticed my heart was pounding in my ears.

Now it's strange, because apparently, I staggered out into the hall, fell down, got up, came back into the bathroom and slammed the door behind me... I have very little memory of doing so, though.

Then, everything seems too loud - the TV in the distance... everything. I can't see because everything is spinning. I tried to put some water on my face, but the tap sounded both garbled and very loud at once, and it didn't work.

Finally, I sat on the toilet (I put the cover down) and reclined and closed my eyes and that made it easier... I still was out of sorts, but I realized it and became more aware of it, and lied down on the floor on a towel for a few more moments.

Overall, I'd say this lasted about 3 minutes... it was VERY troubling. I've never had this happen to me before.

But, a few days prior, I had another moment where I was holding a glass, and sort of "blacked out" for a minute, and the next thing I remember is the broken glass and spilled water on the table. Really.

Could this - these - have been seizures of sorts? I'm not well read on them. If not, what else could they be? ANY help I can get with this is really, really, heartfelt-ly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS. I am not an epileptic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
(male)

Mediocrates HB User
Re: Troubling night

DM, that sounds a bit familiar to me and the seizures I've had. Epilepsy isn't called the falling sickness for nothing.

All sorts of strange happenings could be seizures, though. I'm sure tumors and heart conditions could lead to similarly strange experiences. Don't let my comments scare you; I am not a physician or nurse. Just make an appointment with your doctor pronto.

There is one more piece of advice I can give you. Get off your feet! If this happens again, sit down, lie down, stay where you are until it passes and you can get help. I think you came to the same conclusion when you were in the bathroom.

Finally, a cautionary tale. My seizures last a good deal longer than your experience, but they are partial seizures that don't involve a loss of consciousness unless I get out of bed and walk around. It took a few seizures for me to learn to simply stay in bed; mine happen almost exclusively in the middle of the night.

I didn't see a physician about my condition until after I had had this happen to me several times - seizure while in bed, get up to go to the bathroom, lose consciousness (i.e. progression from a partial to a general seizure), fall and injure myself - get up. The first couple of times I called 911 and went to an emergency room, but they didn't catch it. After that, I simply dealt with it on my own. Big mistake.

See a doctor. If they don't take it seriously or rush to judgement then get a second opinion. If this is epilepsy, it won't go away if ignored; it will get worse and more frequent.

If you would, please post back here what happens. They will probably want to do an EEG initially.

I hope you find an answer soon.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

desertmoon78 HB User

So you think it was a seizure? Or that both were?
I just don't want to go to the doctor for no reason at all.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
(male)

Mediocrates HB User

Well, I can't answer that from only forum posts and I'm not qualified to in any case. Yours sounds like a seizure, but that's only my opinion.

Since seizures happen in the brain they can involve almost any sensory, memory, motor, or emotional states. Mix all those up and you get some pretty unpredictable situations. Add to that the fact that there are non-epileptic seizures which indicate another problem but aren't epilepsy. Last summer I had a seizure after mowing grass all day in 100 degrees, and my neurologist told me it probably had nothing to do with my epilepsy.

You can wait to see if anything else happens, but I caution against it. Once you've brushed off one it becomes easier to make it two or three or more. What is almost certain is that seizures become more numerous and severe if left to themselves. Electrical discharges during seizures find their way through your brain like animals create a path in the woods.

After two or more seizures, physicians will tell you that you should have sought their help after the first one, and you can hardly blame them. It's your call.

Here's what I would do: call them and ask them to simply note this in your chart in case it happens again. If you go see them the most they will do now is give you an EEG.

I wish I could say more definitively. Maybe someone else who has had episodes very closely resembling yours will see this and respond.

Better yet, I hope this was a fluke for you and you never have to post here again.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
(female)

valeriedl HB User

What you described sounds somewhat like the sezs that I have.

Things in the room will not look like they are in the right place. I'll get a dizy feeling. Sometimes I'll smell things. Things sometimes will be fuzzy. I'll get really confused. I think I know what's going on but I'm not sure.

Like what was said before, sit down or lay down. Make sure that you are somewhere that you won't fall and hurt your self!

My sezs are called focal sezs. I usually won't remember what happened during it and they will only last a few minutes. I very rarely have the convolsive type, but that's one reason that you want to make sure you get somewhere that you won't hurt your self.

Defently talk to your dr about what's been going on.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
(female)

desertmoon78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmoon78 View Post
Overall, I'd say this lasted about 3 minutes...
I checked. The 3 minutes was my perception -- in reality, the duration of this was approximately 10-15 minutes. Much longer than it seemed.

Also, no one has said anything regarding my "blackout" and the spilled drink... and if that might be connected. So if anyone could help me with that one, that would be most appreciated as well.

I'm calling my doctor tomorrow in ref. to all this... probably the best choice.

Closed Thread