It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

saxton65 HB User
Question new 2 board......anxiety or seizure?

i was told years ago that i have anxiety attacks, but i question that. this is what happens to me during the attacks.

i always know it's going to come on because i start feeling strange, weak and then i get a boiling/hot sensation in my chest. when this happens i know i have to lie down or i will collapse because of weakness.

the heat sensation spreads to my arms and legs and i sweat profusely. although i am aware of what is going on around me(most of the time), i cannot respond. if i can respond it is usually with one word...normally all i can say is "HOT". i feel like someone is squeezing me and it is difficult to breath. there have been incidences that i have deficated in my pants (embarassing), but i had no control over it.

this attack/episode can last 1-5 minutes then i start coming around, but i am so weak and tired all i want to do is sleep.

does anyone have the same or similar things happen to them? could this be a form of seizure? would these attacks show up on EEG(which i had yesterday)?
thank you for any responses

saxton65

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
(male)

Mediocrates HB User
Re: new 2 board......anxiety or seizure?

saxton, while I was reading your description, I was beginning to regret having to tell someone - for the second time this week - that they may or may not have had a seizure.

Then I reached "..all i want to do is sleep..." That sounds suspiciously like a seizure. Did you fall asleep, or just feel tired? I think it's almost universal, at least very common, for seizures to lead to deep sleep afterwards. Personally, it's been by far the deepest sleep I've ever had. There was no way I could have stayed awake afterwards; it's as if the brain is simply exhausted.

If you just felt tired without going into a deep sleep, though, I wouldn't be nearly as sure that you had had one.

The attacks themselves wouldn't show up on the EEG unless you had one during it, but there are still indications that can be read. On the other hand, if nothing showed up on the EEG, it wouldn't necessarily rule out epilepsy, either.

Also, I have sweated profusely and then been chilled afterwards during seizures. This has been during the most severe seizures I've had, and it's more the exception than the rule. It feels awful!

Last edited by Mediocrates; 08-12-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added heat/chill comments

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
(female)

littleshelly HB User

You should make an appt. with a neurologist. That sounds like epilepsy. Get an EEG and MRI to be sure what you are describing is not a seizure. My son has epilepsy and some of your symptoms sound like what happens to him. He gets hot and a rising sensation in his stomach. Feels sick and cannot speak when he is having a seizure. Good luck. Get checked out just to be sure.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
(female)

saxton65 HB User

thanks for replying littleshelly. i just started seeing a neurologist. my mtri was normal...waiting on eeg results. lab work was mormal, waiting on lyme western blot. my attacks is not the reason i sought out a neuro. it was my dizziness, off balance and cognitive problems, which i have had since my first attack.

Last edited by saxton65; 08-13-2008 at 06:38 AM.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
(female)

saxton65 HB User

mediocrates reply. i get so tired afterwards that i have to go to sleep. after my first attack, i slept for almost 4 days. my mom took care of me(i was 34).

when i have the attack i have to lie on a cold floor, sometimes i can't make it, so i lie down wherever i can. if someone is with me that knows what to do, they will wet a towel and fill it with ice to put on my chest. i hace laid in a pool of my own sweat before (gross). when it's all over, i start shaking because i am so cold and then i move to a bed (someone usually has to help me or i crawl if i am alone).

Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
(female)

littleshelly HB User

You're welcome. Good luck with everything. I had Lyme and it is very difficult. I believe I still have it. Went to long without treatment. Did you recently get bitten by a tick? Did you have the bull's eye rash?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
(female)

saxton65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleshelly View Post
You're welcome. Good luck with everything. I had Lyme and it is very difficult. I believe I still have it. Went to long without treatment. Did you recently get bitten by a tick? Did you have the bull's eye rash?
i grew up in the country and always got bit by ticks. i remember a certain bite when i was 28 and living in arkansas. i couldn't see the bite ...it was on my butt, but(ha ha) i remember it taking over 2 months to heal. it just kept itching the whole time. i cant' remem abite since then. if that's the case it's been quite a while...i am now 43 yo.

by the way i called for my eeg results and the nurse refused to tell me over the phone, however she said all my blood work was normal. she wanted to get me in for a follow up visit asap, but wasn't able to. this is freaking me out because i just know something showed up on the test otherwise she would have told me it was normal just like my mri.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
(female)

littleshelly HB User

Not necessarily, I worked in a Dr. office and some test results they just want you to come in for. If they did find something that is the point of the test so that they can treat it. Make an appt for next week and go in so you don't have to spend time worrying about it. Chronic Lyme is very difficult to treat and some people never completely recover. I didn't. But I manage. Good luck and post the results.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
(male)

jvmtaz HB User

Saxton65:

What you have described, most definitely, sounds like a seizure. I have experienced some of the sensations you describe.

Have you had an MRI? Are you on any drug therapy to control these symptoms? Ask your neurologist about having an extended video EEG, while being weaned from any drug therapy and deprived of sleep. This test can help in identifying if you are experiencing siezures and what type of seizure it might be. If you experience a seizure during this test, it will assist in identifying any focus and how the seizure spreads.

Let us know of your progress.

Jim

Closed Thread