I just started using it. I'm up to the full 400 mg dose. I don't want to get too excited but I have reduced my 1200 mg of Tegretol to 1000 mg and the Vimpat seems to be working. I will know more when I am down to 800 mg of Tegretol. I also take 500 mg of Lamictal.
i am taking vimpat by itself at the moment. had many problems with tolerating the usual treatment drugs. so far i've been able to handle it without much side effects. not certain if it is doing any good yet though, as my usual next seizure time would fall around now. fingers crossed.
Ahhh - I rememer you from many years ago and was happy to see your name again. I am back on this board - always looking for some direction after 26 years for Rebecca but nothing works. Trying to find some "peace" within it all. I remember you being such a strong support to Tripp....Paula
I'm new here but wanted to jump in on the Vimpat conversation...
My daughter (she's 10 y/o) has been intractable with multiple meds. I think we've been through 8 or 9 now. The epileptologist recommended having surgery to remove part of her temporal lobe after her last EEG. I was still hesitant to go that far and asked about any other meds that had not been tried. They decided to put her on Vimpat and Klonopin for a trial period to see if it could accomplish a greater reduction (at this point we aren't even looking for complete control). She has been on this combination since September and I have to say that I'm overjoyed with the Vimpat. While not completely controlled, she's had at least a 50 % reduction in the partial seizures and not one grand mal in this time period!! For comparison, this same time last year, she was having seizures almost daily and had multiple grand mals and episodes of status epilepticus. She does not complain of any side effects from the Vimpat, although she does get drowsy from the Klonopin. I know different meds work differently for each person but if you are struggling with seizures, it is definitely worth a try! We have been amazed at the progress she's made since starting it...
I'm really surprised on how it seems Vimpat may be pulling the load for me. They have me on 400/day of it along with 4000/day of Keppra and 600/day of Lyrica. When in hospital for monitoring, they had me totally off of the Keppra and Lyrica and seizures had not struck yet. It was when I was down to 60mg of the Vimpat (not sure if it got any lower) that the seizures finally struck.
I have not noticed side effects from it, or any changes in my daily activity that could be blamed on the Vimpat. So from me, you'll only hear good things on lacosamide.
JAMIE , I'm at the point where I'm almost at surgery. They had me in hospital for intercranial contact monitoring just over a week ago. They already did the WADA, Neuro psych, PET and MRI's. Now it's down to the Doctor conference to decide if I will go forward.
I've been on 10 meds over 30 plus years. As many as 4 at a time to try and control them. Articles I've read have been encouraging the resection or cranial operations sooner rather then later. A lot of the patients have been like me being unable to gain control with meds for over 10 years (+15 in my case) after once having control before having surgery suggested.
So I guess I'm encouraging you not to fear it. In the majority of the cases reported in articles, seizures were either controlled, or improved after surgery. Think of it as a possibility to get control without the side effects the drugs can dish out (and I've had a lot of the sideFX over the last 30 years).
Wow Travis - that is encouraging for sure. Because Rebecca can't tell us how she feels regarding side effects, it makes it very difficult which is why this health board is so helpfull to us. Wishing you continued progress in 2012...Happy New Year
Thank you for the encouragement Travis! The epileptologist was explaining to me that they have changed their thought process over the years when it comes to surgery. She said that it used to be a "treatment of last resort" but they have found it more beneficial to do the surgery earlier (when multiple meds have offered little or no control) to prevent the propogation of changes within the brain from the seizures which cause it to be more sensitive to the seizure activity, thus resulting in more seizures. My concern with the procedure, in the case of my daughter, is that she also has cerebral palsy. Over the years, she has fought hard to gain many of the skills that she has. When I inquired as to any dysfunction the surgery would cause, the doctors seemed to be non-specific and vague. They also added that she would have to continue taking her seizure meds and there was no guarantee that the surgery would be successful in stopping the seizures. Too many ifs and maybes for me to be confortable at this point. Easy for me to say since I'm not the one having to live with the seizures, but I really do try to think about the overall best interest of my daughter! Sometimes I wonder if her opinion would be different than mine, unfortunately, she does not understand to be able to give an opinion. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with the surgery! The information I have read seems to support that it is a successful treatment option!!