It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

kellyanne323 HB User
Ambulatory EEG

I've just scheduled an ambulatory EEG (48-hour) for October as the next step in trying to get off Tegretol. I've had spot EEGs and a few EEG leads during an overnight sleep study but never any on for this long.

Any words of wisdom for this procedure? How do you deal with the itching (I easily react to adhesives, I am dreading this the most)? I'm scheduled to start on a Friday afternoon, so I'll be homebound for the weekend, I'm sure- the doctor's office even told me to bring a hat, I'm assuming I'm going to look... a little odd once I'm hooked up!

I'm looking forward to this as I've been on Tegretol for almost 10 years and I'm ready to be done with all of this. No seizures in three years, but some fainting episodes have made my neuro more cautious about me going off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User
Re: Ambulatory EEG

When I had mine--@ the hospital--when they placed all the readers they used what was like a hot glue that made them hold better--and then raped my head with gauze to keep them in place.

I had to stay in the hospital for mine-because I slowly taken off my meds to 'cause' a seizure.

I've never known anyone to be able to go home for one.

As far as the adhesives-if I were you talk with the technician that's setting them in place.

Good Luck!

Cherie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User

They place the readers on Tripp's head with some type of gauge that had some glue on the and then they used a vaccum type thing that dried the patch on the scap. When it was time to remove them they mixed some glue removal with some oily substance and rub it all over his head....all the glue came off...then we washed his hair to remove the oily stuff.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Fingernail polish remover on cotton pads where they applied the contacts (works GREAT!). Use the pads so it can't drip on your face (safety). Depending on your hair type, wash the hair as soon as you can about 3 times (in a row) of wash, dry, and brush. That helps get it off. If you can use a fine toothed comb USE IT.

Some people recommend Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo.

--Travis

Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
(female)

kellyanne323 HB User

Thanks, everyone. I'll check with the tech about the glue. I'm assuming it will be the same or similar to the glue used for the vEEGs in the hospital. I'm definitely worried about itching. Thanks for the advice on removing the glue- they said I'll be taking the leads off myself at home. At work, they often use a Keri brand oil when removing the vEEG leads, so I might look for that, and I know we've used baby oil in the past.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Kelly thanks again for your posting on my thread and yes I know exactly what your going through; been there 3 times in 10 years as well. I tapped my patches (wires) when I felt itching or rubbed it without much pressure. They dont come off that easy atleast when my hospital did it, that depends on the clue they used so becareful. Take some tape and slowly wrap the wires that are bothering you to sleep or in your face.I used a hat or a silk scarf to cover your head and neck, but its not really embarrassing, so dont stay home and have fun this weekend. I been on Keppra and Trileptal for a few years but prior to that I was on Tegretol and neurontin, all together 15 years on meds. My Right Anterial Temporal Lobectomy 16 months ago, and it has been a success and I cant wait to tamper off these meds as well. Please keep me posted on your progress and your neuro's advise and test. Best of luck Kelly
Laura

Closed Thread