It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

josumom HB User
Question !0 year old son has had two grand mals (tonic clonic)

This may be long, so here goes...our 10 y.o. son has had 2 grand mals. The first one was in May and the most recent one was the first of this month (Aug.) He had the first one while he was at a Arcade/Amusement park and the second one happened while playing the computer. We have since then seen a ped. neuro., and he has scheduled a 24hr. EEG. Now a little about our history, in my youth I had three grand mals, and the last one was when I was 15. My son has tic disorder, ADHD, anxiety, depression and rages. For the past two years he has been taking Trileptal for mood stability (which you know is also an AED), and ten months ago he was prescribed Wellbutrin for depression. Since the last seizure we have weaned him off of Wellbutrin. The ped. neuro feels that the Trileptal should have counteracted the Wellbutrin. Two years ago he underwent a Neuropsychological Evaluation and the doctor suggested he have a 24 EEG to see if the "rages" were caused by seizures...that EEG was normal. I guess I am wondering if anyone has experienced this type of thing while having all of these co-morbid issues as well? My husband and I are hoping it was the Wellbutrin.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: !0 year old son has had two grand mals (tonic clonic)

The first two items that caught my eyes were "arcade" and "computer". Any issues with florescent lights, or when emergency trucks are in the area and the flashing lights? (photo-sensitive epilepsy).

There could be indications as simple as starting to get a headache when walking into a "big box" store due to the lighting being long tube. Or the light passing through the leaves of trees could cause symptoms IF the person is photo sensitive.

The EEG may tell on that when they use the strobe.

Don't do anything abnormal during the 24-hour test. Keep the regular routine. However make sure (I'm sure they told you this) to take notes if anything occurs as for the approx time and what you saw happen.

Best of luck in finding the cause,

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
(female)

josumom HB User

Thank you for the reply. What I meant to ask in my post was, "Could the root be the photosensitivity, my history, or the Wellbutrin...or all three? We are watchful when he is on the computer (we make sure he is at a good distance from the monitor). The ped. neuro said that the handheld games are not really a risk due to the size and the lighting. He also has had some Sensory Issues, and one of them was Fluorescent lights but over the past four years he doesn't seem to be bothered by them. But FL's are everywhere nowadays. We are also being aware of the other triggers, i.e. sleep, nutrition. Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Another poster had mentioned in the past, items such as "checker patterns" on tile or carpet could cause issues. Stripes rather than solids on the walls COULD have an effect (how the eye tracks). Also the degree of color. If a "heavy" color is used, rather than lighter or "muted" colors (don't do heavy transitions within the persons room).

Some people that are photo sensitive are even effected by the screens on windows!

I'm only well versed on medications I've been on.

--Travis

Closed Thread