It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Question EEG needed while tamperring off meds??

Its been 16 months since surgery (seizure free) and I cant wait to get off my meds. I read one post about ambulatory EEG which confussed me. Does one need to be in the hospital (on and off) while tamperring off meds? how many more EEG's are needed if you been free for so long? Im hoping to be tamper off quickly so I can become pregnant. Any advise will be greatly appreciated...

Laura

Old 08-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: EEG needed while tamperring off meds??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 030free View Post
Its been 16 months since surgery (seizure free) and I cant wait to get off my meds. I read one post about ambulatory EEG which confussed me. Does one need to be in the hospital (on and off) while tamperring off meds? how many more EEG's are needed if you been free for so long? Im hoping to be tamper off quickly so I can become pregnant. Any advise will be greatly appreciated...

Laura
The abmulatory is a "waist pack" with leads going up to the scalp for a mobile EEG in some cases. In the "in hospital" cases you have a "trunk cable" following you around and a limited range of travel.

As for tapering off meds on an EEG, usually they want the patient IN hospital for safety when that is going on so they can capture the actions on audio and video.

What I am interpreting from your query for "tapering off quickly" is not advised. Doctors like to move slow and safe, for your safety. They want to be sure you will not have reoccurring seizures down the road, and that the reduction is at a rate (slow enough) that the body will not react to (causing a reactionary seizure).

The question of "how long" is never solid. Often it is a handful of years on the short side. Best advice is don't rush it. Try to be patient.

hope that helps,

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

kellyanne323 HB User

The process for going off meds really depends on the doctor. I'm the one who posted about the ambulatory EEG. My neuro's rule of thumb was two full years with no seizures followed by clean tests (48-hour ambulatory EEG, possibly an MRI). THEN we discuss how exactly I will be going off the medication. She actually decided to wait another year seizure free due to some fainting episodes I had. So once the EEG comes back okay (I'm thinking positively), then we'll discuss tapering and finally stopping the medication. Going off seizure medication quickly can be very risky, and it's usually done slowly.

As far as being in the hospital, again, depends on the doctor and the patient. My doctor has decided an ambulatory EEG (done at home over a few days) will be okay- I will still be on my medication during it. I work with hospitalized children and see many come in for vEEGs for going off meds, or for a vEEG after a certain period of time after going off meds. So it really depends on the doctor and patient.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Thanks for the responses. I done the ambulatory EEG a few times prior to my surgery but I wasnt aware of this during the med reductions. I guess I'll see what my neuro decides next April.. In regards to the time I know it sounds desperate and I do feel desperate to be off these meds (to reproduce), but I know it cant be rushed, which is why I felt confussed when my neuro told me I could reproduce now if I wanted to ... Im on Keppra 3000mg/day and Trileptal 1200mg/day these are the highes doses. Guess these means more side effects and longer months of tamperring off these meds right?? Kellyanne I wish you the best of luck, keep me posted on your process......
Thanks again
Laura

Last edited by 030free; 08-29-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: add

Old 08-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

The dose of Keppra you are at IS this highest suggested amount. Needless to say they have gone over that (I can say from my own experience) who knows how frequently.

I have no clue about Trileptal without researching.

--Travis

Closed Thread