It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

nanas4dogs HB User
pseudo seizers

My Doctor Has Ne Taking Dilantin For My Psuedo Seizers Is This The Right Medicine To Take For These? I Am Also Taking Neurontin For My Back And Leg Problems, I Have Had 2 Surgeries On My Back For Herniated Disc.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: pseudo seizers

Both of those can be used as anti epileptic medications.

It's hard to say what medication is best for one person or another. It's a case by case judgement call by the doctor based on the available information.

Dilantin is often a first try to see if it will help. It can cover a wide range of potentials. There are other medications as well that MAY work similar. It just happened that Dilantin was the choice.

See how it goes.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
Re: pseudo seizers

I'm confused...I didn't think neurologists prescribed anti-convulsants for "pseudo-seizures" or psychogenic seizures.

Are you sure you're not having epileptic seizures? Because AEDs like Dilantin aren't used in treating "pseudo-seizures."

I thought I was having psychogenic nonepileptic seizures because I'm on my seventh med combo and nothing is working 100% so I did some research (even though, at my last visit, I actually asked my neuro. if I was having nonepileptic seizures and he said No Way!) and I found out this info from the EFA site which may be helpful to some people here who have posted about their seizures in the past and have wondered the same thing....

* An apparent convulsive seizure that extends for many minutes, even an hour or longer, may be nonepileptic, especially if there is no cyanosis and the patient wakes up immediately after the seizure movements stop. (I lost consciousness for 5-10 mins.)

* The recovery period (postictal state) following a psychogenic nonepileptic seizure is brief; recovery from an epileptic tonic-clonic seizure lasts minutes to hours, characterized by confusion, headache, exhaustion and sleep. (sleepytime for me for almost four hours after the big tonic-clonic.)

I've read that Neurontin is often prescribed for people with chronic pain. Like Travis said, though, meds work differently for every person. I hope you find relief!

Last edited by dogmom; 09-02-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Closed Thread