It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

valeriedl HB User
Won't see Neuros' Asst!!!!

I've been having a good many sezs latley. Everytime I have one I always call the neuro to let him know just as he asked me too. This is so that he can determine if my meds need changed or if I need to come in for an appointment before I am scheduled.

The last time I called the neuro's receptionist (whom I really like she seems to care about his patients and know what's going on with them), she told me that if I keep having sezs at the rate that I am he may have me come in but it would be do see his asst or nurse (I'm not exactally sure of what her rank is but I know it's not full fledged neuro)

But any way her rank has nothing to do with the matter. When I would see her before she would tell me that it was MY fault that I was having the sezs. I wasn't taking my meds correctly and I wasn't taking them at all. There where other things too, but it was like she just didn't want to listen to me tell her what was going on, she knew and she knew why - period!

I told the neuro's receptionist about the fact that I didn't like her for that reason and if I were to make an appoint it would not be with her!

Her answer to me, in a very sorry sounding voice was "I know, alot of people feel that way about her, but sometimes you do have to see her"

I've got an appt with the neuro in about two weeks, so unless things get really bad, I'm not going to call there and get stuck with her. I'm going to tell the neuro that I won't see her and for the reasons.

Has any one else had this happen to them. How did you handle it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Won't see Neuros' Asst!!!!

I had my Neuro (sadly now HEAD of Neurology) tell me I wasn't taking my medication (800mg/day of Lamictal) when I was. He was basing it off of levels being so low, while my other two were perfectly normal!!

I've had ER staff write scripts out for the wrong meds when they have my chart in front of them and have me yelling at them to correct them on the issue, but who am I, I'm only an uneducated patient, I can't know anything (grin).

You need to come in armed with facts at hand when dealing with these types. I did that with my old Neuro (first mention in post) and he was not pleased, he had two interns in the room when he tried pulling a bad stunt and I wouldn't let him mess up my medication again. I had to confront him about the medication interaction he wanted to put me on (and should have known about).

Recently my last Neuro thought my levels were "off" and I rattled my blood levels from **memory** to him. I told him standard levels came back high, so we paid attention to the CBZ (Teg free) levels and they were only 0.2 above normal if I recall, so we took that as an indication something made the standard levels skewed. He was shocked I knew my levels and where they sat and what my "normal" is.

I don't deal with assistants either. I need the Real McCoy as well or I'll confuse the heck out of the employee trying to help me. They need to know my case history to know WHY my levels are at where they are and my dose is where it is. Otherwise it won't look "textbook".

--Travis

Closed Thread