It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

valeriedl HB User
how do you deal with it?

I got eplispy in my late twenties and have had it for about five years now. I've lost most of my memory from jr year of high school till then, and even most things here and there since then are gone too.

When I meet new people or people I've known forever but don't know I have eplispy now I have to go through the whole deal. When I first tell them I have it it's like they take a step back and stare at me like I'm going to fall down on the floor and start to shake uncontrobally, or wait for me to do it so that they can see what it's like to see!

I explain to them that I usually don't have those types of sezs I will just blank out, mumble and talk without making any sence. I've got to take meds but I'm still having them, not like they were at first though which were really bad. They will ask what happened when I got them and then I have to go through that I had to be put in to a coma in the hospital just to get the sez to stop.

People ask me where I work, and I have to tell them I can't work or drive because of the eplispy. They give me that look and I want to shake them and tell them that I'm not an invalid. I can do everything that you can do.

My brain is fried so my memory is horrible. I don't remember things that I had done with people and they can't believe that I don't remember. I know they don't think I'm lying, but it was something really exciting or funny or very memorable that they just can't get over is wiped clean from my brain.

People will tell me "how sorry they are that this has happened to me". I know most of them do really mean it, but after you hear it over a hundred times or so, you get sick of it.

I'll change the subject to what they are doing now and how's their life been and it usually works to get it off me. I hate it too because when I'm out with my parents and we start talking about it with people they will go into more detail because they were there to know what was going on.

I just want to know how everyone else deals with this and can hopefully give me any advice. I just don't want people to think I'm an invlaid. Yes I did go through some really bad times there, but I am getting better, I've just got a ways to go, but the drs aren't sure If they will every get the eplispy completly under control.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread