It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
(female)

brainstorming88 HB User
topamax and weight loss

hello everyone
i'm kinda new to epilepsy (was just diagnosed 8 months ago and its been a loooooong 8 months) the most recent AED i'm on now is topamax which seems to be great for my seizures havent had one since i've started using it (little over 2 months) BUT my problem is weight loss i've dropped 15lbs in just one month and still dropping.. i was already petite so now with the weight loss i look sick. my doctor doesnt seem to wanna take me off the topamax and i've seen two other doctors each one seems to wanna diagnose me with something else one of them even started taking me off the meds and i ended up in the hospital coz i had 4 seizures right after eachother.. so i dont think i wanna look for too many opinions i'll stick with the doctor who knows exactly whats wrong with me. is there anything that i can take or do to help with the weight loss?? i'm 5'4" and i weigh 98lbs now.. i wanna switch meds but i just worry about the side effects i dont even wanna TRY any other meds. i've already tried lamictal which was so horrible it took me almost a month to recover from it..

Old 09-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: topamax and weight loss

Forget the standard eating 3 meals a day is my first advice. It didn't work for me when I started up, and still doesn't.

You may start to notice some thing taste different (soda's, candy bars). So watch out on those. Diet soda's are are a BIG complaint.

I found out that AROMA triggered appetite. Mainly the smell of seafood (in my case it was shrimp).

My Neurologist suggested the breakfast shakes to help for a morning meal. That didn't work for me, I never ate in the morning, but it may be something to consider.

I would suggest "snack meals" during the day. Three, maybe four small eats so you still are getting food in you. Then ONE REAL meal at night. Even if you have to force yourself to eat it, do it. You will find you can still eat even if you don't feel hungry. You "know" mentally you need to eat.

Topa makes the mind think the body is not hungry. Its a battle you need to learn to get over, and it is not easy. It took me a few days without eating to figure out what was the problem (my Topa increase) and how to battle it took even longer with attempts on using different foods so I would EAT.

Being I don't have a family to feed, I found easy to prep foods are the best to do. Quick, not much of a fuss. Things like pasta and salads. They even make pasta that is stuffed now that you can find the the store nationwide, takes a few minutes to boil and there is your meal.

Microwave foods may not be the best for nutrition, but they are quick and an easy solution.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

valeriedl HB User
Re: topamax and weight loss

When I was diagnosed with eplispy I was put on at least three different meds and I know that one of them was topamax. I don't know if it was the one that caused the dramatic weight loss on me, but I don't take it any more.

All I wanted to do was sleep. I think the only time I got out of bed was to go to the bathroom or to take my meds. The dr messed around with the dosages and then fimally took me off of it.

I know another med that I was on all I wanted to do was eat. I gained probably 50 lbs in a month or two. Everyone told me to watch out on how much I was eating so I would just wait till everyone went to bed and eat a half a gallon of ice cream (no lie!)

I'd talk to your dr and see if maybe you should be taking different dosages or tell him you want to be switched over to a different med.

I agree too, eat even if your not hungry.

Closed Thread