It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Self Help for Epilepsy

Hi all,

We are new to these boards and new to epilepsy. I just wondered if anyone has any tips/techniques for helping with epilepsy. My son is 6 and has absent seizures. I am not medicating at the moment for a number of reasons and wondered if anyone has found that certain things trigger a seizure or if there are life style changes that can help control seizures as well? We use a number of complementary therapies which seem to be reducing the number of seizures he's having at the moment, but would welcome any other tips to try! I had read about the diet (ketogenic? sp??) which isn't suitable for us, but do any foods seem to trigger seizures?

Welcome any replies!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

valeriedl HB User
Re: Self Help for Epilepsy

I know that some things will cause a sez for me (I am in my 30's however). If I get very nervous about something, or upset I've got more of a chance. I'm sure if you are alergic to something it could bring one on.

I really don't know what absent sez are, so I can't be much help or telling you what to do. Is he having alot of them I would see a neuro even though you said there were reasons that you didn't want to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User
Re: Self Help for Epilepsy

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for your response, we have seen the doc who wants to medicate him but I am worried about side effects - my son is autistic so has a lot of other problems to deal with, so I've been looking around for other solutions - have read quite a bit about vitamin deficiencies now so looks like a trip to the nutritionist is in order!
Thanks for your help

Closed Thread