It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
(male)

JUNKMAN1966 HB User
Dilantin Missing Dosages

If I Forgot To Take My Dilantin And Realize I Did And Its About 6 Hours Till My Next Dose Should I Take Or Skip It?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
(male)

Introspective HB User
Re: Dilantin Missing Dosages

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNKMAN1966 View Post
If I Forgot To Take My Dilantin And Realize I Did And Its About 6 Hours Till My Next Dose Should I Take Or Skip It?
Hi There,

The advice I was given by my General Practitioner was to take the medication as soon as you remember as long as it is'nt immediately before the next dose is due.
I think that 6 hours is plenty enough time between your dosages.

It is also important to remember to never take a double dose of any medication and to seek advice from your doctor if in any doubt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Skip your dose and just take the next one. I done this a lot myself, prior to surgery, but as long as you dont do it often, if its once its ok, skip it and go to the next, nothing major will happen. You can still call your neuro's office or pharmacy if your not sure...

Old 09-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

If I forget a dose, I take it as soon as I remember, and then push the next dose back a couple of hours depending on how late I remembered to take the missed dose. Because I know when I miss a dose, I have seizures for days and feel like crap.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

With Dilantin, I would go on how much is the dose (is it a low dose that you missed?) and how many hours off is it when you caught it?

You don't want to take it within a few (3-4) hours of your NeXT dose.

I've caught it when I checked my trays and I had forgotten. I was a little over 3 hours off (NOT on Dilantin) and due to the time I reduced my dose slightly (NOT THE SMARTEST THING don't do it ) so I wouldn't be toxic when I took my PM dose. I also made sure I stayed inside that day. Interesting that my Doc agreed with my on how I handled it over skipping the dose (something I try to avoid doing) .

If you take the full dose, the following day (morning) you may be slightly groggy if your levels are elevated in your system. That is why people like me are weary of taking full dose of meds when we are late by more than a few hours... OR we have to stagger the PM dose late to make up for being tardy. Either way can work.

Best thing I can say is know your body and how it reacts to high levels.

--Travis

Closed Thread