It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: kansas
Posts: 29
skurburski58 HB User
Question need advice"help!" Dr.wants to change med or stop

I'm 58 yrs old"female" and have been on"Mysoline" for 30 years and I haven't had a seizure for 30 yrs, and I have osteoporosis and The Dr."family Dr." suggested changing my seizure med to another seizure med,or stopping my seizure med since I haven't had a seizure in 30 yrs. Ok a little about myself"
when I was 3 I fell out of a car and suffered some brain damage" but at the time all they did was patch up the stitches and send you home.Later during my younger life I noticed hot flashes that would come across my head,later around "15" I had mini" seizures when you black out for seconds.Then around 18 after the birth of my first child I had a full blown grandmal seizure. After a while was put of Mysoline and was fine.But now the family sending me to a Neurologist to have an Mri and discuss changing or stopping my medicine...what should I do????Thanks Shirley

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Posts: 172
valeriedl HB User
Re: need advice"help!" Dr.wants to change med or stop

I would see what the neuro has to say. Having to take a med for the osteoporosis that would cause problems with the eplispy med you are on could cause you to start having sezs again.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: St Cloud, MN
Posts: 1,236
Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: need advice"help!" Dr.wants to change med or stop

Make sure to see a Neurologist. I wish I knew where he went... There was one I had briefly up north here (my clinic closed) who headed down towards your area, maybe Missouri. Didn't get the clinic name he went back to (see how bad I am at keeping track of peoples trails!). Also check at University if you can't locate any good Neurologist's or Epileptologist's.

I'm in the same mindset as you, don't mess with it if it works.


Last edited by Travis from MN; 09-15-2008 at 01:10 PM. Reason: correction

Old 09-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: kansas
Posts: 29
skurburski58 HB User
Re: need advice"help!" Dr.wants to change med or stop

Thanks to you both for the advice about the seizure med I take.Ok I will see the Neurologist but the one my family Dr. picked out doesn't even specialize in Epilepsy so I feel a little uncomfortable about that,but yes I will check the University in KS and see who they have.Thanks. OH I found out I'm vitamin d
deficient and also read that"mysoline" can also cause this.I will let you all know how the appointment goes .Thanks.Shirl

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!