It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
HPV Vaccine and epilepsy

Hi all my 12yr old daughter has just come home with a consent form to have the hpv vaccine (cervical cancer prevention) and after doing some bref reading on the net about side effects etc (research by america)lm abit worried... l remember reading one of the possible side effects is grand mal seizures along with everything else... l have not found any of thisinfo in my own country UK. My daughter has left temporal lobe epilepsy and is on medication, I would like to hear from anyone who has a child with e. who has had this vacination asp if possible please. I intend to do some more searching tonight and l am going to contact the school nurse regarding my daughter having this vacination. Thank you to anyone who replies

Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: HPV Vaccine and epilepsy

I got the HPV vaccine right after it came out (I was the first one of my doctor's patients to get it). I had no side effects at all. I didn't know about the risk of gran mal seizures. The only side effect I had was soreness at the injection site for a couple of days. Personally, I recommend it to any girl/woman before they're sexually active. I mean, how amazing is it that there's a vaccine against a virus that can cause cancer?!
But that's just my opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Thanks for your reply.Sadly this vaccine was only tested for 6.5yrs no-one knows the long term effects! Also it only protects against a few strains of hpv the sexually transmitted hpv. Still not convinced. If you do some searches you will find posts like these off mothers who have taking their daughters for the jab and wished they hadnt! At the end of the day safe sex and regular smears save iives. You still have to bear this is mind when you get the jab and still have regular smears. Really pleased your doing fine. Take care x

Last edited by niecsey; 09-19-2008 at 07:25 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I did some research before I got the vaccine, and I was a little nervous about the fact that it was so new, but for some reason, I had a strong feeling I should get it. I know safe sex is the best way to go instead of a vaccine, and I don't plan on having sex until I get married anyway. But what if my future husband had had sex before (high probability), and carried the virus and didn't know it? So I still think there's a reason to get the vaccine even if someone is safe with sex or someone like me who doesn't plan on having sex until marriage.
But of course I understand the possibility of long-term effects of the vaccine...
Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 09-19-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Closed Thread