It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

dollydidit HB User
Unhappy Kepra and depression

Hi all
Its me again my b/f is just increasing his keppra and reducing tegratol. He is still averaging 2to 4 seizures a week and has been since december when he had the major seizure that caused total memory loss for 12 days (scary times) and now i am finding the higher the keppra the worse his depression and moods are getting, he tells me its just that he is sick of all the seizures and really is just frightened this is it for him they are always going to be like this but these thoughts have only really begun when he started the keppra 3 weeks ago. Does anyone have any insight or general advise as to how i should approach all of this.
thanks
peta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
(male)

shakin stevens HB User
Re: Kepra and depression

Hi, I have been using keppra for some time now and definitely associate it to depression and some strange thoughts. I can not be sure if it is just the keppra because i take oxcarbazepine as well, but i have had three very bad times over the last year usually late at night and each very close to some kind of break down. Last time was only 3 weeks ago and lasted 2 days the reason that i associate them to the drugs is because i am generally not a depressed person and these episodes follow on from a much higher frequency of seizures in the 2 or 3 days previously. Hope its of some help ste

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I encountered a mild depression with Keppra. It onset within 2 DAYS of my dose being increased to 4000mg/day (from 3000). I had to endure that for over 6 weeks until I had slowly spun downhill to the point where I felt unsafe alone. My Dr. refused to listen to me (quote "it'll go away"). Lets just say I didn't trust him and had a bad feeling on it NOT improving.

The ER (hospital of my choice) was stunned at my dose and told me to drop back to previous dose. ALL symptoms went away within 24-36 hours! That by itself told me it was the dose.

HOWEVER I will say I have had labs come back for Keppra in the low 60's (61 something) and I was NOT having problems. So it is not always a problem in my case. If I can take labs at 61 and not have the same effects I had at 4000 (I was on 3000 with labs in the 60's, dropped to 2625/day, still on that dose).

Hope that helps.

--Travis

Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
(male)

logger HB User
Post Re: Keppra and depression

i had a lot of anger and depression like problems when i was taking 3000mg of keppra daily. i also seemed to be having problems comprehending reality at times and also wide mood swings that drove me further and further into isolation. i slowly over a one year period have reduced the dose to 500mg daily and i sometimes feel like i have been reborn.

on each dose level change it took me approx four months to adjust to the new level therefore I do not rush it.

keppra, like a lot of these drugs can do wonders for some but also cause big problems for others. even worsening seizures for some.

logger

Last edited by logger; 09-21-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: grammer

Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I never realized this until right now, but for a while, I've been trying to figure out why, for the past few months (maybe even a year, but it's been worse for the last 6 months or so), I've been so over emotional. Everything makes me cry, and I get into episodes of what seems like mania, where all my thoughts and feeings are intensified, and everything looks brighter and more colorful and I feel like I'm going to explode or burst into tears if I don't do something creative. And I belive all this started with the past couple of Keppra dose increases. Wow, this thread was a revelation. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
(female)

dollydidit HB User

Hi all

Thankyou for your response we have started on some b6 it seems to be helping a little but its early days we also spoke to gp about depressions and anger he has reduced the keppra for now until we can see the nuero. I really do appreciate the feedback I get from this forum it makes me relise that we are not alone and that there is always someone to answer a question we might have. so again thankyou to all.
cheers
peta

Closed Thread