It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
(male)

matt8208 HB User
Red face 21 Year Old Brother Had First Grand Mal Seizure and exhibeted Rage???

Has anyone had anything similar occur to them?

My brother (21 yrs old) had his first tonic-clonic seizure two nights ago while he, my mother, my wife and I were having dinner. It was the scariest thing I have ever been through, and fortunately he remembers nothing from it. It lasted 3 to 4 minutes, and he stopped breathing. I had to give him a quick steady tap on his back and he began inhaling again. Suddenly, he came to, and stared at me as if he didn't know me and started screaming. He charged me and tried to throw a chair, and continued to scream. The whole time I was letting him know I was his brother. I ended up having to tackle him and hold him down until he calmed down and passed out. Right before the EMT's arrived, he woke up and realized something had happened, but didn't know what. He remembered who I was, but thought he was just asleep. Obviously, he was frightened.

He has been on a number of depression medicines for some time now, and over the last year, was put on wellbutrin and colonipan(SP?). 6 days prior to the seizure, he said he had suddenly stopped taking the colonipan.

The dr's believe it was the wellbutrin or the colonipan, and pulled him off both. But his Psychiatrist told him to get back on the colonipan(sp?), but to stay off the wellbutrin.

Number one, Has any one exhibited or seen someone display this sort of confusion/rage following having a seizure, and could it be from one of these two drugs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
(male)

shakin stevens HB User
Re: 21 Year Old Brother Had First Grand Mal Seizure and exhibeted Rage???

hi, i always have extreme confusion then rage or fear when coming back round. i put it down the the basic human instinct of "fight or flee" when something very emotional happens. i think rage with the first seizures and once you have accepted it just fear. hope it helps ste

Last edited by shakin stevens; 09-24-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I have seen the "emotional seizures" before. Some that I saw seemed that a patient was thinking that they were at a younger age in the past, and they had tasks to do. Verbal and motor skills were fine during the spells. That was the most common with a friend of mine. They would then (in that case) lay down briefly, change cloths, and come out within a few minutes and not recall any of what happened. One time the seizure triggered a different part of the brain and I was uncomfortable in how it played out... What do you do when a person makes advances on you in a seizure... exactly. Not easy to deal with when the fiance is in the room.

I have had seizures myself where I showed an increase in strength and was confused with my surroundings. Nothing could be done but let the seizure end and give me space during that time.

Being Keppra was not one of the medications it's not a sign of "kepprage" (problems with the medication keppra).

--Travis

Old 10-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

Hi There.
I believe that a state of confusion is "normal" for an after siezure effect.
I have Epilepsy, and this is one of that main off-sets that I have experienced after a seizure.
Everyone is different. As far as the rage issue is concerned, I have heard of that being "normal" as well.
If you ask me, drugs can do a lot to people. They effect everyone differently. It sounds like your Brother's brain did not know how to function, or what to do without the drug he weaned, or stopped taking.
Has he been to a Neurologist or Epileptologist? Perhaps an EEG and Scan may help to see if he has a disorder?

Closed Thread