It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
jean258

keppra

i am taking 100mg topomax twice daily + 1000mg keppra twice daily.
since increasing dosage of keppra from 500 to 1000 twice daily i have had several light seizures per day, also unable to eat. started keppra 4 weeks ago. was on valporal acid came off 4 weeks ago. i feel tired and sometimes angry. i felt much better before taking keppra. i have partial seizures due to a tumor. i have a siezures through the night and as soon as i wake up. is this happening to anyone else!.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: keppra

Topamax questions here, so bear with me.

How long have you been on Topamax?

How "fast" (mg per week) did they increase your dose? (that can cause problems if increased too fast.)

Have they preformed blood work to check your levels on Keppra and Topamax?

Topamax can take ROUGHLY one week per 25mg tab to level out in your system. So they like to go slow when introducing it. They can go as fast as 50mg/wk if they think the person can handle it.

When doing LARGE increases (100mg) it is dangerous, but SOME patients can handle it (I could) when they increase the dose from (EXAMPLE 100mg to 200mg).

Topamax most likely is the CAUSE of your eating issues . You need to learn to FORCE yourself to eat. I found that aroma's triggered my desire to eat. Topamax also changes the taste of some foods (compared to pre medication). So best advice is try "snack sized" servings during the day and one REAL MEAL at night.

Even though the medication makes you think you are not hungry, EAT. You need the nutrition. It took me going two days (without food) when I had to develop a way to eat when on the medication. You just have to force the meal down.

As for the emotional questions... Keppra is known to cause "uncontrollable emotional outbursts" in a small group of patients.

Hope that helps you a bit.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread