It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
(male)

kstach HB User
dilantin

What level of Dilantin constitutes low for an 84 year old male of 119 pounds?
Can you tell us what some of the warning signs of low Dilantin levels would be aside from a seizure?

Thanks! Kyla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: dilantin

In general, the range is 10-20 for Dilantin. A person should be in the mid teens for "acceptable" results. Once the levels creep towards 20 or above you may feel a sense of drunk like symptoms (balance, double vision, stomach). That indicates your levels are high or your dose is too much and you should contact your doctor if the symptoms persist during the day.

Low levels are ones that can't really be explained by sensation. You may become more alert, not as effected by the medication. It's not as easy to tell if your levels are low until it's too late (more seizures, less control).

It's been years for me so I can't remember if there is a "free level" (different blood test) for Dilantin or not (not the standard test) to obtain better test results.

If there is some bodily impairment the doctor MAY dose differently... I don't know for sure.

Only other item to say is use the version (brand name/generic) that works best with your system. Before the current Dilantin (new form) came out I had problems with generic, so I was one that stayed with brand name loyally.

Hope that helps

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
(male)

kstach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
In general, the range is 10-20 for Dilantin. A person should be in the mid teens for "acceptable" results. Once the levels creep towards 20 or above you may feel a sense of drunk like symptoms (balance, double vision, stomach). That indicates your levels are high or your dose is too much and you should contact your doctor if the symptoms persist during the day.

Low levels are ones that can't really be explained by sensation. You may become more alert, not as effected by the medication. It's not as easy to tell if your levels are low until it's too late (more seizures, less control).

It's been years for me so I can't remember if there is a "free level" (different blood test) for Dilantin or not (not the standard test) to obtain better test results.

If there is some bodily impairment the doctor MAY dose differently... I don't know for sure.

Only other item to say is use the version (brand name/generic) that works best with your system. Before the current Dilantin (new form) came out I had problems with generic, so I was one that stayed with brand name loyally.

Hope that helps

--Travis
THANKS SO MUCH TRAVIS!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

Also remember that some people (me) have good results at levels below what is normally considered therapeutic. After years at a blood level of 12, I'm now consistently at 9 or below and neither my internist nor my neurologist sees a need to increase my dosage.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
(male)

kstach HB User

Thank you SO much! That was precisely what we were hoping to understand! Thanks!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

And just to expand on Travis' comment about a second type of test for Dilantin levels - yes, there is the usual test and then there is a blood test that looks for levels of "free" Dilantin in the bloodstream. My understanding is that the "free" molecules are those that have not yet bonded to cells but are available to do so.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
(male)

kstach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_930 View Post
And just to expand on Travis' comment about a second type of test for Dilantin levels - yes, there is the usual test and then there is a blood test that looks for levels of "free" Dilantin in the bloodstream. My understanding is that the "free" molecules are those that have not yet bonded to cells but are available to do so.
Thanks SO much! What is the "usual test" if not a test of the free dilanti? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Dilantin is 90% plasma protein binding. The Free level is looking for the other 10% that are NON binding if I recall.

If I recall the liver processes Dilantin (and most of the epilepsy meds). The Standard levels for dilantin I mentioned are 10-20 mg/L. Free level ranges I do not have a listing for.

--Travis

Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
(male)

kstach HB User

Thanks For All Your Help!!

Closed Thread