It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

Kermi HB User
Epilepsy or not?

For the last few years i've had a problem with strobe lighting. I either have to shut my eyes or leave the room when it starts, usually i'm fine. But recently its been getting much worse.

I was out tonight and the strobes started, i was fine at the beginning but then it started to get worse so we decided to move to a different room. The strobes started again as soon as we started walking but i had my eyes closed so i thought i'd be OK. As soon as we got upstairs i started to feel faint and i couldn't breath properly (nothing to do with being hot as it was quite cool in the club) so i left straight away.

I thought that as soon as i got outside my breathing would go back to normal but its been about 45 minutes and it still doesn't feel right but i don't feel faint anymore. I'm completly calm so its nothing like a panic attack. My heart is also going much faster than usual, it has slowed slightly since the club but it is nowhere near normal.
I've never been this bad before and no i haven't been drinking and i've eaten plenty.

I'm going to try and go to the Doctors on friday but what can they actually do? Or will they just tell me to avoid strobe lights?
I know i should have gone to the docs a long time ago but its never been this bad before so i didn't see the point.
Also what am i supposed to tell them? The Doctors where i live are pretty useless so unless you know whats wrong with you they won't do much.

Its not just strobe lights anymore either, its most flashing lights. It used to be just green that i had to avoiod but now its all colours. Although i can tolerate these a lot more than strobe, i can't look directly at them though.

Bright lights also cause a problem, if i'm sitting in a lecture i often have to close my eyes because its too much for me and i get migraines a lot because of it.

I've been to see the optician and he said my eyes are fine, he couldn't see anything wrong with them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
Re: Epilepsy or not?

You could very well be photosensitive and that, combined with migraines, would explain a lot. Do you take medication for your migraines?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
(female)

Kermi HB User

I'll take painkillers if they get really bad but they don't usually do anything for me. I have tried migraine tablets before but i didn't notice any difference with them.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Yeah, my sister suffers from horrible migraines and she takes Topamax (topiramite) and Imitrex and sometimes they don't even help. I really feel for you. If you're photosensitive, I don't know of anything that can help, offhand, so it may be worth it to talk to a doctor...who knows, there may be something out there that will make going to clubs bearable! Oh, and there is such a thing as photosensitive epilepsy, so you could look into that...best wishes!

Closed Thread