It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User
Functioning with Epilepsy

I am 25. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 13. I have been on Tegretol XR at 600 mg a day. Can you imagine how this is affecting me?
My question is...Is there anyone else out there who feels that EVERYTHING in life is 10 times harder to deal with than the average person?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
(male)

pro17 HB User
Re: Functioning with Epilepsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivecenter View Post
I am 25. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 13. I have been on Tegretol XR at 600 mg a day. Can you imagine how this is affecting me?
My question is...Is there anyone else out there who feels that EVERYTHING in life is 10 times harder to deal with than the average person?
I know what you mean.
Its not like a broken arm, that everyone can look at and clearly see there is something wrong. Epilepsy is invisible to everyone unless they know you personally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

Thank you for replying to my cry for understanding.
Out of 100, you are the only one that did.
Your right, it IS invisible.
I have found that even with people who know me personally, no one knows but the CREATOR how I really feel.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
(male)

pro17 HB User

I am only a couple years older than you but I have been dealing with it since I was 11 (1991). They put me on tegretol as well, but I dont remember how well it treated me - those times were a little confusing.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I've had seizures since I was 5. To me it's just been part of my life. The huge hurdle is you can't let your disability control your life. YOU (the person) have to take control of the reigns and direct it the way YOU want to go.

So what if I have a seizure every 90 days or so. There is nothing I can do about it. It's like stubbing your toe on the chair in the kitchen. Life happens. Don't let it consume you.

People on the street when you are taking a walk see you as an average person. I would rather the see me as that then a disabled person. True we are not in wheelchairs nor do we have casts on our limbs. But yes we have a medical condition. It is invisible to most, and we can enlighten those we wish to.

I guess in my ramblings I am trying to say don't let it effect you. Live as if you were normal. I do. I don't have any special adaptations, alarms, or sensors in my residence. I don't make daily check-in calls. Why the heck should we be any different then John Q Public?

Maybe my growing up with seizures made me immune to seeing it different.

--Travis

Old 10-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

Hi Travis

Thank you for your in-put. I appreciate it.
See, for me, it is this whole HUGE prospective of me finally accepting that I have Epilepsy.
And so I am trying to figure out the way that I should look at it, deal and feel about me and this part of me that is different.
I do, understand what you are saying, though.
Why should our lives have to be that much different? At times, I feel like it is. It is hard to explain how I really feel inside.

Thanks again.

Neveah

Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
(male)

pro17 HB User

n8tivecenter, for the medicine I take, I have these little weekly holders, organized by day (I cant think of what these are called at the time...)
But I have to refill it every Sunday or Monday morning. Thats probably when I feel the worse, since it reminds me of the week to come having to put up with it all.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

I have these 2.
I have been taking the same medicine for 14 years and I still 4get some mornings!
Whatever you would like to share, I am here!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
(female)

cherie57 HB User

I have to agree with Travis-this is something you learn to deal with. I've had mine since about the age of 2-3. It is a HUGE hurdle-but you can deal with it.

Don't let it control your life! I was/am lucky to have a family that cares about me-and as I grew up-if I had a seizure (blank stares) we would still continue what we were doing when they ended.

I got used to them - lived with it.

Cherie

Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

It is obviously easier for some people to deal with than others.
It effects everyone differently.
Maybe someday I will be able to just "live with it".

Old 11-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

I found a new job and I start on Monday. So I am feeling a little better about my life in general.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-21-2008 at 05:57 AM.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

That is awesome to hear.
I am glad to help you.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
(female)

mackieave HB User

everyone

I dont live with epilepsy directly but my husband does. Initially he didnt tell me that he had epilepsy as he had had some bad experiences in the past with people making assumptions about him. You know it is best not to leave telling those you care for too long before being honest. None of my family or friends have ever cared that he is epileptic they care for his well being but make no judgement as he is still the person that he was.

Dont ssume everyone will make a negative... Give some people a chance and those with bad experiences we are not all like that you know.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-21-2008 at 05:56 AM.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
(female)

claire1010 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackieave View Post
everyone

I dont live with epilepsy directly but my husband does. Initially he didnt tell me that he had epilepsy as he had had some bad experiences in the past with people making assumptions about him. You know it is best not to leave telling those you care for too long before being honest. None of my family or friends have ever cared that he is epileptic they care for his well being but make no judgement as he is still the person that he was.

Dont ssume everyone will make a negative... Give some people a chance and those with bad experiences we are not all like that you know.
Fantastic! Very well said. People with Epilepsy do get judged and they are just normal human beings like everyone else in the world.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
(female)

lozza85 HB User

Thank you for your input, im not a sook but it made me get a bit teary,
I found out I had epilepsy in 2005. It scares the hell out of me. The meds make me feel funny, I swear Im a different person to the person I was before. This last year Ive been letting it take over, it consumes me, I have a 2year old son & Im always panicing something will happen & He'll be on his own till daddy gets home. But you are so right, I cant control it so why should I let it get to me. People have told me this time & time again but somehow you really got through.
Thank you so much,
Lauren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
I've had seizures since I was 5. To me it's just been part of my life. The huge hurdle is you can't let your disability control your life. YOU (the person) have to take control of the reigns and direct it the way YOU want to go.

So what if I have a seizure every 90 days or so. There is nothing I can do about it. It's like stubbing your toe on the chair in the kitchen. Life happens. Don't let it consume you.

People on the street when you are taking a walk see you as an average person. I would rather the see me as that then a disabled person. True we are not in wheelchairs nor do we have casts on our limbs. But yes we have a medical condition. It is invisible to most, and we can enlighten those we wish to.

I guess in my ramblings I am trying to say don't let it effect you. Live as if you were normal. I do. I don't have any special adaptations, alarms, or sensors in my residence. I don't make daily check-in calls. Why the heck should we be any different then John Q Public?

Maybe my growing up with seizures made me immune to seeing it different.

--Travis

Closed Thread