It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
(female)

allison60604094 HB User
Exclamation Are these seizures?

Twice now I've been laying down to sleep and either had just fallen asleep or was just about to when I had an alarming experience- I was suddenly paralyzed in my whole body.

Both times it started with suddenly becoming very cold. I started trembling violently, and I couldn't open my eyes. My pulse got almost painfully fast, and I had trouble breathing. I couldn't move or do anything to stop it, and I could have sworn there was someone there but when I snapped out of it [and I don't know how I did it, either] there was nobody at all.

The second time, last night, was a little different. In addition to everything else, my body tingled. It was sort of like when your leg falls asleep, only it was a bit more intense and it was everywhere on my body. Also, I thought my Grandmother, who I live with, was talking to me. However, she hadn't even woken up yet.

This was very disturbing and I would love to know what it was. I originally posted in General Health and nobody responded... but when I was talking to a friend they said it could be seizures.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you can help!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User
Re: Are these seizures?

Hi there.
Yes, I believe that these are seizures. Iam no Doctor, but, I have the life experience.
I have had similar experiences as you. It is a very frieghtening feeling, not being able to control your motor skills.
Have you been to a neurologist yet?

Concerened Epileptic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
(female)

allison60604094 HB User

I have not, but I dont know if we can afford it right now... and I really don't want to worry my grandmother. Are there any long term consequences of waiting a while to get it checked out?

Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

Hi There.
<removed>
I do not know if you could have negative results if you do not get checked out, however, if I were you, I would not WAIT. And I would take care of myself, even if it means worrying loved ones. She would probably be glad that you are getting checked out. She may worry more if you do not?
Does that make sense?

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-21-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: do not post websites with forums

Old 10-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

If they occur around when you fall asleep (or nap?) it's possible that this could be nocturnal seizures (seizures that occur during sleep). I would strongly encourage you to see a neurologist. Bring in your notes of when you can confirm these occurred and your descriptions of what you felt to try and help the doctor.

Any family history may help diagnose or eliminate other medical conditions from being possible causes as well.

If these JUST started and your diet (surrounds) has changed that could be something to look at (reaction to foods?). Or chemical reactions (example: laundry detergent, soaps, perfumes).

--Travis

Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 AM   #6
(female)

allison60604094 HB User

Thank you very much for your input- it is very helpful.

I plan on getting checked out, though I'm unsure of when I'll be able to. I will, of course, put it as a top priority if I have any more problems or symptoms.

I don't think I've had any recent changes in my environment like diet or laundry detergent or whatever... but it's probable that there have been and I just can't remember.

As far as family history goes, I know for a fact that my sister had seizures until she was about four. Also, my grandmother says she was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was actually around my age, but I don't really know how reliable that information is... I've had many experiences with her having very unreliable information on things like that... and she takes no medications and has absolutely no symptoms.
Right now it's seeming more like it's true, though.

I do hope you're right, that she'd be more happy if I worried her and got checked out, but she's not a very predictable or rational person all the time.

Thank you so much,
Allison

Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

Hi Allison
Your very welcome!
I hope and pray that everyone effetcted by this disorder comes out healthy in the end.
It is extremely refreshing to know that we can all help and support eachother.
I just found this site the other day, I have been needing something like this for quite some time now.
Please let me know if I can help with anything else!
Neveah

Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

It sounds like Sleep Paralysis. Look that up. I get the same thing- when I'm falling asleep or just waking up, my body vibrates, I have ringing in my ears, and I can't move at all. I have to concentrate really hard to try to move a finger or a toe in order to snap out of it. When I read about Sleep Paralysis, it said it is common to also have hallucinations during them, like when you felt someone else was in the room when there wasn't.
The sleep paralysis is caused by an excess of the chemical in your brain that keeps you from sleepwalking.
Although, my episodes of sleep paralysis definitely coincide with my seizures. Sleep Paralysis supposedly has no connection to Epilepsy, but I notice that when I'm having a period of time with seizure activity, that's the only time I get Sleep Paralysis.
You should definitely get an EEG done and possibly a sleep study in order to rule out seizures.

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 10-14-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

Hi There.
I do not need an EEG. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 13.
If I take my medication like I should, I do not get seizures.
Thanks anyway!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I was actually replying to Alison's original post...

Old 10-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #11
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User

Oh, Sorry!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
(female)

allison60604094 HB User

SentenceDoing,

I actually did look it up recently, and though it does make sense, i did not find all of my symptoms explained by it.

Not to say you're wrong; I, of course, have no expertise on the subject considering I did only just learn of it about a week ago, so I couldn't possibly know if it really doesn't explain everything.

I'm honestly baffled.
And to be even more honest, I hope that I stay baffled; it would mean nothing more happened.

Thanks everyone,
~Allison

Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
(female)

claire1010 HB User

Hey Alison. How r u? It sounds to me like you are Experiencing SLEEP PARALYSIS I experience simmiler. They are not Seizures, aldough I could be wrong in saying u are experiencing Sleep Paralysis. Get it checked. good luck x

Closed Thread