It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

xb4bex HB User
pseudo seizures

sudo seizures what are they and are they real ot fake?

Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

n8tivecenter HB User
Re: sudo seizures

Hi There.
I have never heard of Sudo seizures.
<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-21-2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: do not post websites with forums

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

ven22 HB User
Re: pseudo seizures

I have heard of these as my oldest daughter has them - my mother is epileptic and my older brother and recently myself and there was a possible my children could have it as well and my children have always known this. I started to panic when my daughter started to have fits and always ended up in the hospital and it definately looked like real fits however after about 3 months of this the staff nurse in the hospital explained to me that they are not real fits just made up by my daughter who does have attention problems and therefore knew that having fits would get my attention no problem - its awful but she can't help herself - we just know that its not real and don't make a issue now (she is 23yrs old) she also knows but still does it sometimes. Hope that helps you.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User

Pseudo szs is a bad term. They are szs but they are just not epileptic in origin. They are very real however they do not originate from they brain. They could be stress induced or cardiac or many other reasons. The szs themselves appear almost exactly like epileptic szs. They are often downplayed by drs however they are just as scary and real. It was once thought that I was having NES (non-epileptic szs) bc they happened every time I exercised but it was later proved otherwise. Make sure you know they are for sure NES and get a second opinion if necessary. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
(male)

WilliamsRDan HB User

Ven, that's horrid!
I too have what has been called pseudo seizures, and have had doctors tell me that it was trying to get attention, and admittedly I've used them to stop arguments, but they are NOT fake! They are just not normal.
There is a real cause for pseudo seizures, it's just different. I confused UCLA with my seizures. I don't lose consciousness, I get a forewarning before I have a seizure, but it's very real.
They thought I was faking it because my brain scans didn't show as epilepsy, they showed the same as if a normal person where to tense up all their muscles and curl up in a ball. The abnormal patterns were in the same area that conscious muscle movements take place. I'm fully aware of what's happening, and can control it a little bit (after years of training myself to), but it is real.
Don't call your daughter a lair. That only makes her feel like it's her fault when it really isn't.
For me, it's a panic attack that causes my pseudo seizures, it could be similar for your daughter, look into that.

Pseudo seizures are real seizures, it's a horrible term for it, makes it sound like it's fake, but they are not.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
(female)

mommah HB User

you all sound like you are very knowledgable with all this seizure/epilepsy/psuedo etc.
This is my first post due to the fact I just ran into this tonight YEAH!
I have a son and he is now 17 yrs. old a senior in HS. He has been having seizures for 2 years and 3 months. We have had three long term monitoring eeg's and several CT's a a couple MRI's all are normal.
This all started on Nov. 14, 2006 he had his first tonic-clonic grandmal seizure. He was sent by ambulance to the ER. The EMT's check his blood sugar level and said it was low and asked me if he was diabetic. No was my reply. The great mystery started, they are diagnosing him with psycho genic seizures. They are horrible to watch him go through and he is so frustrated, he can't drive and has yet to drive. His days at school or not normal he has had them mostly everyday!! He has at home, church we had our first on at a resteraunt in January.
We have change from a pediatric physician to a family physician. He put him on Dilantin 100 mg 3 times a day he continued to have them about every other day then the he would be sent by ambulance to the ER and they would gave him 1000 mgs. b/c his level was the first time 3.3 then two days later again sent to the ER and given 500 mgs. On that Friday morning at about 4am. I awoke and felt that he needed to go up on his dosage and gave him 200 mgs. 3 times a day. Anyways the Doctor increase his dosage to 900mgs. a day that lasted 4 or 5 days and now he has had on Mon, Tues, Wed. We are also looking into hypogycemia. Anybody have any advice. I hope I have made sense.
Very frustrated young man and family

Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User

I would say the best advice is to figure out if these are NES or not. I know I had to go to many doctors to figure out whether or not I was having epileptic seizures or nes. I would say it is not beneficial to keep pushing pills if they are for sure Non-Epileptic Szs (my dr didnt want to put me on too many pills when he thought it was nes). I have also heard about ways that make it much easier to tell if they are NES just by looking at a video of the sz. So i dont know if you have caught one during the long term monitering but if not you could video tape the szs for the dr. That really helped out my docs. also i saw you are located near dallas (i think!)...if you need a second opinion ut southwestern is really good. thats where i go. good luck. if you have any more questions...ask away!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
(female)

mommah HB User

They have captured an episode both all three times and they say they are non-epilectic seizures. He most of the times has aura right before which he feels dizzy. Sometimes he has enough time to get someones attention. He doesnt remember the anything about the seizure. He sometimes stutters, has temperary numbness in his right leg. It seems if the theraputic levels are high enough he doesn't have them so that is another question the meds are not suppose to help. One nuero thought he may be having both epileptic and pseudo/non-epileptic.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
(male)

WilliamsRDan HB User

yeah, for my NES, medications actually made things worse. I tried the hypoglycemia test, and ended up having a seizure/puking, so we had no conclusion.
Try to think about what's going on just before he goes into the seizures. Look for any commonalities. For me, stress, heat, physical exertion cause them, as well as pain from my back problems. Not getting enough sleep, or eating right adds to the chances of having a seizure. If stress causes them, consider a diagnosis of panic attacks.
I saw a psychiatrist for a few months that helped me relax my brain, and that has helped me deal with stress. Breathing exercises can help, similar to birthing breathing, but much slower. If he feels warm before the seizure, getting cold water can help. Washing my hands, feet, face and neck have helped to prevent or help in the recovery afterwords.
I'm sure he's spent a lot of the time in the hospital, with so many ambulances, that can be very stressful, and make things worse sometimes. I ultimately have refused to visit the hospital, or even allow people to call 911, because they can't really help me with anything. I just hang out where ever I am, or try to get away from people, except one or two close friends. But being in HS, I could image that is a little more difficult to just sit in the back of the room for a few hours. I started mine a few months before I started college, and though its been difficult, college is much easier to deal with it than for HS, according to friends I have that have suffered their whole lives.
Have you also seen a cardiologist? Just a thought, looking at a bigger picture can help too. Though they may just say to go back to the neurologist, but they might find something that the neurologist didn't think of.

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
(female)

mel239 HB User

I have both tle seizures and nes nothing captured in 7 days on video monitoring. However,I am curios-which seizure type is it when you go to the bank and close all your accounts and reopen new ones and then come home and nearly drown in the bathtub and have no memory of any of that?

Closed Thread