It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
(male)

np29 HB User
what happens when your Dilatin level is to high

what happens when your Dilantin level is to high

Last edited by np29; 11-01-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: what happens when your Dilatin level is to high

The general "range" is 10-20 to provide some perspective.

Toxicity IF a person feels it can be some of the following: double vision, dancing vision, balance issues. I'm sure there's more, those are the main ones I noticed.

Even when the ER doped me up on 2100mg by IV my stomach never had problems. I was sleepy as heck on that massive of a dose.

Comprehension was fine when my levels were high (low to mid 20's). In my case I could hold food down no problem. I can't speak for the rest of the world.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
(male)

np29 HB User

have you ever heard of someone having a seizure when their level was to high

Old 11-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Yes, High levels in theory can induce seizures from the medication alone. Not knowing anything it could be from being toxic on the medication (too much medication) and the bodies response.

Go back to the first reply. The symptoms listed are frequent indications if a person's level MAY be high. The only way you know for sure is to have labs taken (blood levels).

If a person was sick (cold, flu) that is something else you have to factor into everything. If there is a fever, if the person is taking in enough WATER or approved liquids.

--Travis

Old 11-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User

ive been toxic on a med before and it was the worst feeling ever. i think it was on either tegretol or depakote, cant remember. but i couldnt walk straight, horrible headache, pupils stayed dilated, and some other scary things. i didnt have a sz though. just felt really bad overall.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
(male)

np29 HB User

my husbands level was 31 and he started taking less pills and then he had a seizure and we got his blood taken 3 days later and it was 24 he is feeling alittle better we are new to this and we just do not understand it

Last edited by np29; 11-02-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

I hope your husband didn't just reduce his dose on his own and I hope that you have access to an epileptologist who can help him find the correct dosage and the correct medication to help him be seizure-free.

It appears that ideal blood levels - although stated to be in the 10-20 range - are different for everyone. The goal is to find the correct level for the individual. I was a babbling idiot at 15 and doing fine in the 7-9 range.

Best of luck to you both!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
(male)

np29 HB User

Thank you all for your help, my husband was rearend in a auto accident and every bone in his face was broke and he had bleeding of the brain and he was in Neuro I C U for 2 months this happened May 3 2007, he had just been laid off from his job and the womans car insurance doesn't even put a dent in our hospital bills and we have no health insurance so we can not just go to the Dr. when we need to, it is such a miracle that he is alive, but at the same time it is so hard because we can't go get the help he needs, so talking with you has helped us alot we now understand about the toxic level and that he can have a seizure when it is to high, he has had 2 at night when he was asleep when his level was high and his other grand mal was durning the day and his level was to low. Its just hard .

Closed Thread