It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

mbrim25 HB User
dilantin levels

I have a 16 y/o step-daughter who has been diagnosed with epilepsy 3 years ago. She is on a number of medications, and in May 2008, she just had dilantin added to her other medicatios. We now know that dilantin is working for her, b/c she recently missed 3 days of her morning meds, and ended up having 2 grand maul seizures, and her bloodwork came back with non-existing levels of dilantin. She claims only 3 morning were missed, but how many doses have to be missed for the levels to be non-existing?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: dilantin levels

If Dilantin levels were not there that means AM and PM were skipped more than one day most likely. It takes a few days to get it out of your system. Best advice is to have the pill trays to have a visual reminder on the kitchen counter. Bathroom is a bad location due to humidity. If the person forgets a parent can glance and see if they have been taken or not and give a reminder.

In general about medications (not any one in specific) IN MY PAST I could get lucky if I forgot to take my PM dose but took my AM dose. No way in HECK could I miss two. Currently I have no room for error. I don't have the buffer zone anymore. If I forget my dose on one side (AM or PM) I'll lock myself in for the day. It's too risky now. I'll often have a light seizure (close to the grade of aura) if I miss a dose, and feel sensations of seizures that may be onsetting but never do.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
(female)

mbrim25 HB User

The thing with her, is that she has a cell phone and the alarms are set for 7am and 7pm every day, but she says she turns off her alarm then goes on doing whatever. We have tried everything, to telling her if you make time to eat breakfast and dinner then that is when you take your meds. She lives with her mom and step-dad, and with us every other weekend. When at my house, I monitor her like a hawk. I think after this little spill with 2 grand-mauls (her first ever), we all will be watching her like a hawk. Back in May, her neurologist told us, that we would have to treat her like a 2 y/o, b/c teenagers think they are better so they stop taking their meds. I was just checking on the level thing, b/c she knows how to manipulate herself around everything.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

mbrim25 HB User

Well thank you. Luckily she isn't driving yet. She hasn't been seizure free for a year yet. Every time she gets close, she "FORGETS" to take her meds and then she has another seizure and she has to start all over. I will see what I can do, to get her to remember to take meds.

Thanks

Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
(male)

Baruch Goldstei HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrim25 View Post
I have a 16 y/o step-daughter who has been diagnosed with epilepsy 3 years ago. She is on a number of medications, and in May 2008, she just had dilantin added to her other medicatios. We now know that dilantin is working for her, b/c she recently missed 3 days of her morning meds, and ended up having 2 grand maul seizures, and her bloodwork came back with non-existing levels of dilantin. She claims only 3 morning were missed, but how many doses have to be missed for the levels to be non-existing?
From my experience, missing two doses of Dilantin can lead to seizure.
And grand-mal is something you don't want to mess around with. Basically, if someone missed two doses, they should take their meds right away, stay home and be careful. Never miss dilantin.

Last edited by Baruch Goldstei; 11-17-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Closed Thread