It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

jaimegirl HB User
Nightmares

Hi, I'm new to the board. My name is Jaime. I'm 28 years old, married, with 2 kids (boy-7, girl-3).

I have been on Lamictal for aprrox 10 years (give or take a year or two, hard to remember).

I used to have nightmares as a kid, they tapered off a bit during my teen years, but never went away completely. When I was 15 I was diagnosed as epileptic. As an adult my nightmares have become unbearable. I have them at least 3-4 times a week. Not just a bad dream, I mean wake you up in the middle of the night crying/sweating/afraid/jump out of bed scary. It has been going on for so long that I really can't remember when they started to get this bad.

I read on the internet (sorry can't remember the site, but I'm sure I could find it again if anyone wants it) that there have been recent studies done on Lamictal, and that it is known to cause many sleep disorders (including nightmare disorder).

Does anyone else suffer from nightmares on a regular basis? If so, do you think it has anything to do with your meds? Has anyone spoken to their neurologist about this? I can't get in to see my Neurologist for at least another 8-10 months.

TIA,

Jaime

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Re: Nightmares

its late i know but i can relate to you but i take depakote er 1,000 mgs a day 500 am 500 pm i believe i get the nightmares when my levels are low mine is suppose to be 50-100 mines (3 ) now thats very very low and my neuro said thats why im having alot of seizures and i sure am i had 3 on tuesday 2 wednesday today and the nightmares is just what yours sound like i had nightmares all my life but never thought nothing about it

then in 2006 i started having the drop seizures and the sleepiness but for some reason the nightmares got worse on the depakote does your meds make you sleep alot too and do you get depression with yours i also take xanax 1 mgs 3 times a day all the drs tell me they dont cause seizures but i may be wrong but it seems i started having the spells after getting on xanax which was feb 06 thats when i had what they called a panic attack but overtime they got worse in sept 06 and dec 06 is when i started the fainting spells then after about june 07 i blackedout and ended up at er .

then dec 07 i saw a neuro who put me on depakote and for the first 6 mos i done wonderfull never had no seizures was driving cleaning went to the store all alone too now i never leave my house .

im not sure if you take xanax or not but do you know if they would cause seizures or not??

so i know what you feel about the nightmares mine scare me to dealth i wake up crying from them i can really feel myself having seizures where in my sleep im jerking and screeming and kicking and trying to wake up but cant till the seizure passes and its scarry

im going to a hospital for help and they said they will get my levels where they need to be or if my meds need switched they will do that too what are your nightmares like do you feel seizures while sleeping like i just said or are yours different ??

i know where your coming from im 46 and living with seizures or ep which ever it is i have is very depressing .

hope that helped you some cause your not alone on the nightmares but i believe its from the meds cause when i stopped them i never have nightmares but then my seizures get worse.

vickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User

this doesnt directly answer your question but it kinda goes along with the topic. has anybody ever had a dream that they were having a sz. or could this be an actual sz itself?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
(female)

jaimegirl HB User

Thanks for your reply!

DH assures me that I don't have seizures in my sleep. Actually I haven't had a seizure since Halloween 2003, and before that it was at least 2 or 3 years since the last one. So this med works really well for me.

I don't take any meds other than my Lamictal. I've never had an antidepressant, or anything other than seizure meds and antibiotics.

It's rotten dealing with the nightmares. Sometimes it's hard to shake of the feelings of fear and despair in the morning. I'm hoping that my neurologist will have some insight. I'm worried that I'm going to get there and he's going to tell me that he can't explain it and then I'll just have to continue living with it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles, nothing can disrupt your life like seizures. It's hard to have a good day and enjoy anything when you're always worried that you're going to have a seizure. Having been there more than enough times myself, I can sympathize with you. I hope you're able to get some better luck with your meds, maybe changing them will help. Don't be afraid to ask questions and insist that something be done. Good luck to you.

Jaime

Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

jaimegirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerschmee14 View Post
this doesnt directly answer your question but it kinda goes along with the topic. has anybody ever had a dream that they were having a sz. or could this be an actual sz itself?
I've had lots of dreams that I'm having seizures, and wondered the same thing......

Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

moody25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimegirl View Post
Does anyone else suffer from nightmares on a regular basis? If so, do you think it has anything to do with your meds? Has anyone spoken to their neurologist about this? I can't get in to see my Neurologist for at least another 8-10 months.

TIA,

Jaime
I was diagnosed about 7 years ago, and only recently have my seizures gotten worse. My medication has been changed, but the nightmares for me have also gotten worse.
Until I read this thread and did some research, I honestly never thought my nightmares could be related to the epilepsy.
Now, however, I'm definitely seeing a pattern to the increase in seizures being directly proportionate to the increase in nightmares.
I wonder if I'm having more seizures because I'm sleep deprived because I'm having the nightmares at night and am losing sleep, or if I'm having the nightmares because they're seizures in disguise at night.... it's a vicious cycle, I think.
I see my own neuro on Friday, so hopefully h'll have some answers for me.
Good luck to you!

Closed Thread