It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

katyhilton HB User
Question My son might be having seizures, but what kind would this be?

A neurologist has set my son up to go for an EEG Monday, but thins is making me nuts. He had to be transported twice now to the ER via ambulance to his school. The school won't even let me bring him back until I get a diagnosis. Both times he felt "funny and tired" for a 30 minute period - and then he just passed out. They could get zero response from him - like a coma - completely limp... but all his vital were ok. After 30 minutes or so he started to come around again... some movements. He told me he could hear them talking to him but could not reply... only move his body a little. He felt confused and didn't know what was going on. It was about 15-20 minutes later he could start talking a little and he felt less confused. He seemed drunk for another 2 hours. Then he was weak and tired the rest of the day. Even the next day he said he felt worn-out and wobbly.

So this happened twice. I cannot find a description of any sort of seizure that matches this - especially not for a whole 30 minutes out cold. But the doc wants him tested for seizures. So anyone have an idea? What would cause this kind of seizure?

He is on meds. Klonapin for Anxiety and sleep issues... and a stimulant med for ADD and to counteract sedation from the Klonapin. But Dr and Pharmacist and Psychiatrist all 3 told me none of that in the low end doses he takes would cause such a thing to occur.

He has had psychological issues for years. It was hallucinations/scared to leave the house/thinking people were out to get him at age 7/8 and then that stopped and has not resurfaced in years - but since he has little "black-outs" from time to time and some anxiety, mood-swing and aggression issues.... and the ADD.

Ok - so any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: My son might be having seizures, but what kind would this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyhilton View Post
Both times he felt "funny and tired" for a 30 minute period - and then he just passed out. They could get zero response from him - like a coma - completely limp... but all his vital were ok. After 30 minutes or so he started to come around again... some movements. He told me he could hear them talking to him but could not reply... only move his body a little. He felt confused and didn't know what was going on. It was about 15-20 minutes later he could start talking a little and he felt less confused. He seemed drunk for another 2 hours. Then he was weak and tired the rest of the day. Even the next day he said he felt worn-out and wobbly.

Sounds like a Complex partial, or what in the past was called a grand mal based on your description.

I had them before when (for example) I did a faceplant in the gravel once; and then I was in the ambulance "when I came to". I couldn't speak but I could fully understand what they were saying. SO I provided ID and what I could with papers on me. However verbal was out of the question so I pointed to my mouth and crossed hands. He understood I couldn't speak yet thankfully.

The period after a seizure (postictal state) is when the brain is recovering from a "short circuit" to simplify it. Recovery time varies from patient to patient depending on them. In my case it could be from 10-30 minutes until I had verbal back. It's been a while since I had a full blown GM.

The "drunk like" symptoms are common. Our bodies just went through a full boxing match and our body is worn out due to the seizure. It exhausts us. If medication was administered at the hospital that can cause those symptoms as well that will last afterwards. Those medications are used to relax the body so the patient doesn't hurt ones self (often very strong drugs).

--Travis

The school is overreacting BTW. So what if he has a seizure. As long as he has not harmed other students they have NO CAUSE to bar him from attending school. Do they want to pay for the medical bill?? Then they better let him attend school. They have NO RIGHTS to know about his case. All they need to know is he is "healthy". You can "choose" to tell them about his medical condition IF YOU WANT. They cannot demand it.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
(female)

beige138 HB User

My daughter was diagnosed this summer with seizure disorder (the term epilepsy is no longer used as a diagnosis but is still referred to and is the same thing as a seizure disorder). My daughter sees the head neuorlogist at a children's hospital in my area and the way he explained everything to me was this: a child under 10 wouldn't be diagnosed with a seizure disorder until they have had at least one tonic clonic seizure (grand mal, it looks like the entire body is moving with eyes rolled back) with a confirmed EEG or more than two seizures, any type without the confirmed EEG. My daughter has had two tonic clonic seizures, a complex partial seizure (only half of her body was moving and her eyes were in the back of her head) and an absence seizure (aka petite mal seizure). An absence seizure can last only seconds up to two mintues and have the same postictal phase as any other seizure. Sometimes the postictal phase isn't as severe. My daughter had the same symptoms as your son when she was postictal.

Unless the EEG comes back positive for seizure activity, they probably would diagnose him with a seizure disorder, but they may also do a CT scan and MRI to make sure there isn't any underlying cause. As for the school, your son has the right to go to school until 21 regardless of any mental or physical disabilities, especially since the "No child left behind" law. Especially if the school is a public school, they cannot tell you he is not allowed it. The only time a school can request a diagnosis before a child can come back is if he is sick with something contagious like strep throat. I would suggest that you go to the Board of Education in your district to get your son back in. If they still won't let him back in, then I'd recommend researching the education laws in your state (or city) and look into a lawsuit. This is something I did when my daughter was diagnosed, mainly because she is only in pre-k and its not mandatory. Fortunately enough, I didn't need a lawsuit.

I hope this info was helpful! Good luck to you and your son and happy holidays.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
(male)

Baruch Goldstei HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyhilton View Post
A neurologist has set my son up to go for an EEG Monday, but thins is making me nuts. He had to be transported twice now to the ER via ambulance to his school. The school won't even let me bring him back until I get a diagnosis. Both times he felt "funny and tired" for a 30 minute period - and then he just passed out. They could get zero response from him - like a coma - completely limp... but all his vital were ok. After 30 minutes or so he started to come around again... some movements. He told me he could hear them talking to him but could not reply... only move his body a little. He felt confused and didn't know what was going on. It was about 15-20 minutes later he could start talking a little and he felt less confused. He seemed drunk for another 2 hours. Then he was weak and tired the rest of the day. Even the next day he said he felt worn-out and wobbly.

So this happened twice. I cannot find a description of any sort of seizure that matches this - especially not for a whole 30 minutes out cold. But the doc wants him tested for seizures. So anyone have an idea? What would cause this kind of seizure?

He is on meds. Klonapin for Anxiety and sleep issues... and a stimulant med for ADD and to counteract sedation from the Klonapin. But Dr and Pharmacist and Psychiatrist all 3 told me none of that in the low end doses he takes would cause such a thing to occur.

He has had psychological issues for years. It was hallucinations/scared to leave the house/thinking people were out to get him at age 7/8 and then that stopped and has not resurfaced in years - but since he has little "black-outs" from time to time and some anxiety, mood-swing and aggression issues.... and the ADD.

Ok - so any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thx
From your description it doesn't sound like he was making any violent jerking movements while he was passed out. As far as I know, a grand-mal involves rapid body convulsions. Maybe his is a different type, but it doesn't sound like it. Maybe it's the combination of all the meds he is taking.

Last edited by Baruch Goldstei; 11-17-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User

it sounds like some sort of complex partial.the passing out part may just be the post-ictal phase. im not sure though. doesnt sound like a generalized sz to me though.

Closed Thread