It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

sam268 HB User
Help with EEG results, what does this mean?

Back in april my 3yr old son had a 24hr eeg. They told us a month later that the results were "normal" (after they lost the report and found it a month later). When I got the written report, it didn't seem "normal." It said the following:

Voice Entries: Voice entries which were made pertained to patient activity such as eating, watching TV and sleeping. No entries were made regarding the patient's staring episodes.

Persyst Reveal Spike and Seizure Detection Digital Analysis: There were 882 spikes, 1 spike burst and 1206 Rhythmic Bursts. There were reviewed and were all artifact.

Cardiac Rate: 114 pbm

Tech Impression: Much of this study is contaminated by patient artifact. The back ground appears to be slow at 5/7HZ. There was normal sleep activity. No spikes or seizures were seen. Upon return the family was asked if Mason had any symptoms and they stated there were none.

I have no experience with EEG's and don't even know what spikes and bursts are. What do they mean the study was "contaminated" by artifact. Is this eeg even valid? I appreciate any input/thoughts you have on this result. Seems like a lot of "spikes and bursts"...what is an "artifact?" Thanks, Kim

Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User
Re: Help with EEG results, what does this mean?

im not too sure about this, but i think the artifact has to do with the things interfering with an eeg. it makes the eeg hard to read and not accurate. like when i had one eeg someone slammed a door and i jumped a mile and that was recorded as artifact bc it caused spiking but it wasnt due to e or anything, it was outside interferences. it can also be as simple as blinking from what i understand....as far as the spike and wave stuff and actually interpretting it i have no idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread