It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

Indiana16 HB User
Smile I'm a newly diangosed Epileptic

I'm 16 year old and I'm diabetic and have low blood pressure. A few days ago I was diagnosed with epilepsy after having a 6 hour long continuous seizure. The doctors thought I would have suffered brain damage but thankfully I didn't. 4 years ago I had a week of continuous seizures which doctors just passed off as a virus but after several blood tests they found I never had a virus and never ever found a cause for the seizures. Thye just sent me home 3 days later.
If there's anyone else who's been in a similar situation or anyone that can help me to understand, please reply to my message.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
(female)

claire1010 HB User
Re: I'm a newly diangosed Epileptic

Hey Indianna, I am 24 and I have had Epilelsy since I was 17. I didn't experience exactly what you experienced although I did have at least 2-3 seizures a month. I Can give you advise on Epilepsy, and share my experiences if it helps. You are not alone. Having Epilepsy Takes over a small part of our lifes, but with the right medication and Professional help we can lead normal lifes. Keep me updated and let me know how u get on x x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

Indiana16 HB User

Can anyone help me to understand all about epilepsy? Doctors are unsure of what kind of epilepsy I have because I show signs of juvenile, tonic and tonic-clonic seizures. Epilepsy isn't only condition I have. I have type 1 diabetes, hydrocephalus, low blood pressure and I was born 8 weeks premature with exomphalous.

Because doctors are unsure what kind of epilepsy I have, they can't put me on any medication. I'm pretty scared because I don't know a thing about epilepsy and don't know what the future holds. Can anyone help me to understand it?

Last edited by Indiana16; 12-12-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

My case in neurological only. So pardon my ignorance or lack of knowledge in this area.

Could your case be a combination neurological and with your blood sugar levels?

Have they performed an EEG on you (to check the brainwaves)? Do they know what region of the brain your seizures occur in?

Another option rather than medication is a STRICT (i mean very strict) diet usually tried in children to try and control seizures. I don't know much about it, but it is something that must be followed to the letter. Thats a possibility to look into.

With Epilepsy in most cases we are tethered to medications for the rest of our lives. As I said, I don't know how this could (would?) effect your pancreatic functions depending on the medications.

--Travis

Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

Indiana16 HB User

The neurologist told me that my epilepsy isn't neurological, and they've come to a diagnosis. They performed an EEG and it turns out I have tonic-clonic Epilepsy. They haven't quite worked out the meds yet or doasges, but hopefully they will soon.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
(female)

slsmith1122 HB User

is there a difference between neurological & epilepsy?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
(female)

Indiana16 HB User

I'm not too sure about neurological, because I wasn't told much about it. But I do know that tonic clonic epilpesy is on both sides of the brain. Haven't been told much else. I've been told to research it by my neurologists.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Epilepsy is a neurological disorder meaning it is illness of the neurological system. You have your digestive system, cardiac system, etc.

Closed Thread