It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

shawanna24 HB User
what type of seizures do i have

i have had mri,cat scan,6 hour eeg video study done and the doctor still say that can't find nothing so why am i still having seizures

Old 12-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

shawanna24 HB User
Re: what type of seizures do i have

how fast can i get a answer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

JadedHeart8484 HB User

Well. My first answer is overly simple. We live in SC. I have found only one doctor down here with any amount of common sense, and he's a "mere" physician. So it could be that the doctors you have seen are just...bottom of the class, barely graduated physicians. Outside of that...you and I seem to have the same problem. My levels are absolutely normal yet I still have seizures. My boyfriend, a firefighter/emt, has suggested a new possibility to me. He pointed out "Stress Seizures". Which means it's entirely possible that my seizures are do to my brain shutting down when I become too stressed. From what research I've done, it's a possibility. Though the theory is that everything that happens in your body is electrical (hence the EEG's and whatnots), it's feasable that your emotions are playing a good part in your seizures. Also, if this is the case with you, do not let anyone tell you that your stress level is not important, or that the things that stress you out are trivial. Different people react differently to various things. The only other thing I can tell you, having not watched you go through these seizures, is to keep a diary of what you were doing before the seizure...it may help you figure out the answers yourself, which from my experience, is the only real way to get answers.

Good luck!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

You may have to travel a ways to find a better doctor.... How far is it to get to Raleigh? Duke (hospital) may be a good neurology location out there. I don't know the south east very well.

Jaded is correct, in order for an EEG to show things you need it to happen while they have you hooked up. Otherwise all will appear fine. If there isn't anything physically abnormal in the body/brain a MRI won't do much good.

Stress is a known trigger. Hormones can cause problems, caffeine, florescent lighting, flashing lights, even aroma's can cause seizures. It all depends on the patient.

Part of finding your answer is documenting when they started. If it was recent thats odd, but not unheard of. I'd say to look in family history as well. See if there is any record of seizures. Look back in your history, any accidents (head trauma?) that may contribute to this..

And as Jaded said, write down on a calendar when they happened and the best description of the incident you can give. Carry one for seizures only (I do it!). Do you "black out" or can you remain conscious when they occur. If any abilities become impaired afterwards, or not, make a note of this. If somebody witnesses you have one, have THEM write down what they saw or what you did (if anything). This will all help a doctor with the additional information you bring in.

Hope that helps... Finding a GOOD doctor is not easy. I'm needing to travel 90 minutes to get to a good one (ANY Neurologist!).

--Travis

Closed Thread