It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
(female)

Strawberry Girl HB User
Question Could this be epilepsy?

Hi,

I am new to this site, but would appreciate the benefit of your opinions and experiences. I have a daughter aged 9, who has been hearing voices since the age of 7. This has gradually become worse and she now has visual hallucinations such as seeing bugs. reptiles. wolves, fierce dogs, spirits and people. More recently she has expereinced tactile hallucinations. During the summer she developed a fear that people were spying/following her or that 'they' were inside her body mixing up chemicals to poison her or were able to control her. She is under a consultant psychiatrist who prescribed her anti-psychotic drugs.

At times her mood can be restless/excitable, but during these periods she can also become very volotile or sad/tearful. She has also reported seeing flashes of light/lightening. She was also diagnosed with mirgraine at 7. On 4 occasions or so she has become 'faint' and fallen to the floor, but no one seems to know why. WE have no definite diagnosis for her problems - scizophrenia has been mentioned but also epilepsy - although I have never witnessed her have a seizure. An EEG did not show any abnormality to indicate she has epilepsy.

If anyone out there has an opinion on whether my daughter's symptoms may be due to epilepsy or not, I would welcome your view.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
(female)

moody25 HB User
Re: Could this be epilepsy?

My seizures didn't begin until I was in my twenties, or so we think. However, I've never had the type of seizures most people associate with epilepsy, and the diagnosis was made after a couple of fanting episodes and a lot of testing. There was never, at that time, any visual trembling at all, and so it was not just an easy diagnosis.
Good luck to you, and to your daughter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: Could this be epilepsy?

Temporal Lobe Seizures can cause something like hallucinations- seeing things that aren't there, hearing things that aren't there, or smelling or tasting things that aren't there. But I don't think I've ever heard TLE connected with actually seeing people or animals that aren't really there. I think the visual hallucinations were more like seeing lights that aren't there, or seeing things look out of proportion. I'm not sure though. You should look into Temporal Lobe Epilepsy.

Closed Thread