It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

milly85 HB User
Can Epilepsy be cured and if so can it come back?

I have been told that I used to get seizures when I was young and was given medication for epilepsy up until I was 4 years old because my uncle has it and they wanted to make sure I didn't. I was wondering if there is a chance of it coming back?

Last edited by milly85; 01-23-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
(female)

laceymay HB User
Re: Can Epilepsy be cured and if so can it come back?

Well, I barely know ANYTHING about epilepsy, but it sounds like if it just went away it can come back. My cousin has had seizures his whole life really bad and they were slowly killing him. He's like twenty three now, and hes had 3 brain surgeries. Each time they removed more of his brain where they thought the seizures were coming from... this last surgery he had seemed to have cured his seizures. He's now getting a job and learning to drive. But now he only has like 2/3 of a brain D:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
(female)

Melissa180 HB User

Here is some information:

The reality of seizure freedom

Many people with epilepsy have a very good chance of becoming seizure-free:1

About 75% of patients with epilepsy will eventually stop having seizures

— This will happen for more than half of these people within a year of diagnosis

People with seizures that are not controlled early (soon after diagnosis) are less likely to become free of seizures:2

If seizures are not controlled at 1 year—60% become seizure-free

If seizures are not controlled at 4 years—10% become seizure-free

If seizures are not controlled at 10 years—5% become seizure-free

Will it happen for you?

Although you can't know for sure, people are more likely to become free of seizures when they:

Are young when epilepsy starts

Are young when diagnosed

Have generalized seizures

Have a normal exam from a neurologist

Have epilepsy with an unknown cause

Old 01-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Thousands if not millions of children have febrile seizures. These are seizures brought on by high fevers. They are innocuous.

My oldest sister had them on a regular basis.

I, on the otherhand, had non-febrile seizures, meaning, I had convulsive seizures NOT brought on by a fever. It started when I was five months old. I was put on phenobarbatol until I was two.

I was "cured" until forty years later when I had a tonic-clonic seizure.

I was diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy three years ago and currently take 3,000 mgs. of Keppra and 400 mgs Zongegram daily for seizure control...until I get brave enough to have brain surgery.

But...to answer your question, for some people, YES! Seizures go away for some folx. My oldest sister has no problems with them. Just migraines. And irritating twin teenagers.

Last edited by dogmom; 01-29-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
(female)

milly85 HB User

Thanks for all your answers! I guess the chances are pretty slim as I am 23 years old. I had convulsions and was put on Epilim (or something like that) for four years. I can't remember any of it.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
(female)

lamb HB User

milly85, Did you or did you not have epilepsy (not just seizures). If you had seizures then you can have them again. The seizures might go away but the epilepsy really doesn't.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
(female)

milly85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
milly85, Did you or did you not have epilepsy (not just seizures). If you had seizures then you can have them again. The seizures might go away but the epilepsy really doesn't.
My parents said I was just having convulsions. And the doctors suspected it could be epilepsy so they put me on medication for it. This is all I know. For some reason my parents really do not like to talk much about it.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Milly, in child cases they can have a few episodes (seizures possibly) then no more. It's hard to say why they had them in the first place. Sometimes it's high fever or recent booster shots, maybe a reaction to a food. This doesn't always mean they will continue to have seizures.

Did they ever (do you even know?) hook wires up to your head to measure brainwaves (EEG) back then or more recently? Or have a flashing strobe in front of you to see if you would react (part of the EEG) or brainwaves would change.

The "c" word (cure) is not used. In Epilepsy it cannot be cured. It can be treated, medicated, operated on, and hopefully controlled. But NOT cured. I hate to say such a negative statement, but I've had seizures since I was a young child due to a brain tumor. Have been medicated ever since.

Seizures is an umbrella term for "loss of consciousness" (could be diabetic) not solely neurological episodes. That broader term may also include the bodies reactions to foreign substances, such as alcoholic seizures, or drug abuse. Even food reactions could fall into that category in extremes.

--Travis

Old 02-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
(female)

milly85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
Did they ever (do you even know?) hook wires up to your head to measure brainwaves (EEG) back then or more recently? Or have a flashing strobe in front of you to see if you would react (part of the EEG) or brainwaves would change.
Yes. I have been told about the wires on my head but they were not inserted inside my head. Just on the exterior part. Sorry if I sound clueless.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
(female)

lamb HB User

milly85, I hate to be negative to, but an EEG can be wrong. I guess they use them becaus4e they are perhaps the cheapest. There MIGHT be a positive result & that can prove epilepsy. My 1st ones were negative & I recall my dad saying 'you can't have epilepsy, the test says so'. I bet your parents don't want to talk about it because they refuse to think you could have epilepsy. I have read that the longer a person goes without treatment, the worse the case may be (but I just read this in other rooms & they, plus me, are not Drs.)
Ya know, when I was little I think I had epilepsy but never went to a Dr till I had a seizure in my classroom (I was 12-13). I asked my GF how I acted when little & she said I would sometimes stop talking a min. then pick up where I left off, as if nothing happened (a seizure)and once I asked her to spend the night I told her don't be alarmed if I just sit up in bed in the middle of the night, I do that sometimes (a seizure again). I remember my dad often telling me to close my mouth as I watched TV. I wonder if I was just staring at the TV (an abcense seizure). I now have complex partials & my tonic clonics are controled (but they are still there)

Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
(female)

Becci90 HB User

'Yes. I have been told about the wires on my head but they were not inserted inside my head. Just on the exterior part. Sorry if I sound clueless.'a

Yes, thats an EEG. Did you parents ever tell you what the results were? To be honest even if your EEG came back fine it doesn't mean you don't have epilepsy. An EEG won't generally show any abnormalties unless your having a seizure at the time it's being taken.
My cousin had them from birth till 8/9 ish & was taken off meds age 11 & hasn't had one since. She's in her twenty's now.
There are so many things it depends on & nobody can second guess your body. Look up epilepsy & seizures on the net & if your still unsure talk to your doctor.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
(female)

AmandaFongemie HB User

Me too! I had petite mal seizures. I took Pheneabarbital as a child I dont remember much about my seizures, but I do remember the small white pills my mother had to put into spice drop candies so I wouldn't spit them out. I have had the same conserns! Can and will my epilesy come back as an adult. I am now 30 and still no signs of it coming back! I still fear it. I wish some one with a PHD will say, absolutely no way, will it ever return! That would be great!

Closed Thread