It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
(female)

koalamoore HB User
Unhappy New here and just had my first seizure!

Hi all,
I just came across this board when surfing the web for info on the seizure I had two and a half weeks ago. I am still waiting to see my neurologist so that I can get a diagnosis. My seizure was at work and was a grand mal (tonic clonic?) type. I was taken to the ER by ambulance and had a CT scan, which was normal, and an MRI which showed that I possibly have mesiotemporal sclerosis. Does anyone here have that? From what I have read there isn't any medication for it and surgery is the way to go! Sounds scary to me, to have someone messing with my brain
Also, my regular doctor won't let me work until I see the neurologist, which won't be until May 26th!!! Needless to say I will be on the phone today to try and get an earlier appointment or with someone else. I can't be out of work that long. I can't drive either for six months (by law, here in Maine) which I can understand but still is a nuisance. We live in a rural area and there's no public transport.
I do have a question though. I was not aware of any warning that I was going to have a seizure. Is that normal? A warning would be nice, I think! I fell heavily onto my shoulder, on a hardwood floor. If I ever have another one, and I hope I don't, it would be nice to be able to at least lie down first,
Would love to hear from anyone else who has this mesiotemporal sclerosis, so that I can find out more about it. I have done some googling but first hand would be awesome,
Judie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User
Re: New here and just had my first seizure!

Welcome to the boards, Judie (although I'll bet you'd rather not be here, as do the rest of us).

Some of us have warnings prior to seizures and others do not. I do feel for you with the not driving, especially if you're in a rural area.

I can't imagine that there's no neuro appointments available until May 26th. Push hard to have someone see you prior to that time so that you can be accurately diagnosed and given a prescription for medication if you need it. Really, someone should be able to see you within 10 days. Have your GP call and intercede on your behalf.

All the best to you.

Last edited by Art_930; 03-16-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

JulJul22 HB User

Hello Judie,
I am so sorry that you are going through this. In my case, Doctors have suspected seizures since the age of 12 (12 years ago) but no diagnosis until recently which has left me with temporal sclerosis of both temporal lobes. (And possible tumor in LTL) This is a very scary situation that luckily I have had time to prepare for. It is very unsettling knowing this is one of the most important organs in your body and they found something wrong with it. The fact that I have to take medís to calm my brain kind of makes me feel like a Ďdamaged personí and I often worry if I will be able to care for my child or if she will have the task of caring for me. The fact of the matter is, you never know what is going to happen tomorrow. This is something that you cannot control and you have to make peace with that and NOT put yourself or others in danger. (Driving) Although I know you may feel like a burden, and yes Iíve also had to deal with the criticism with family members, but they are not in your shoes and would never really understand otherwise.

I would try also to limit your goggling as I have found that a lot of info on there is worst case. Confine in you neuro and write down questions as they come and talk to him/or her because everybodyís is different. From what I understand about MTS, they will try you on medís and try to control your seizures therefore no more scar tissue will develop. If they can not find a combination of medís over an extended period of time, then they would consider surgery but only if you qualify. (Prepare for a battery of tests) (I am by no means a doctor but itís just my understanding)

Hopefully you have paid medical leave; companies differ, as I know that is causing you a lot of stress as well. Take time for yourself, try no to worry and just appreciate the life that you have so beautifully been blessed with. There are great people here and hopefully now you will not feel so alone in this situation.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
(female)

koalamoore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_930 View Post
Welcome to the boards, Judie (although I'll bet you'd rather not be here, as do the rest of us).

Some of us have warnings prior to seizures and others do not. I do feel for you with the not driving, especially if you're in a rural area.

I can't imagine that there's no neuro appointments available until May 26th. Push hard to have someone see you prior to that time so that you can be accurately diagnosed and given a prescription for medication if you need it. Really, someone should be able to see you within 10 days. Have your GP call and intercede on your behalf.

All the best to you.
Thank you so much! And I was able to get in to see the neurologist on March 31st, which is much better!! Quite a relief, lol
Judie

Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

koalamoore HB User

Well it seems I am certainly not alone and mine is just the one seizure, unlike a lot of you that have so many of them. It's just nice to know there are people to talk to that know what I am feeling,
I would never drive unless I had the ok to do so, but still it is limiting. When will you find out for sure if or not, you have a tumour? That would be terrifying I would imagine! I hope you don't, especially at your young age (I am an oldie )
And thanks for the 'talk', it certainly does help,
Take care,
Judie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulJul22 View Post
Hello Judie,
I am so sorry that you are going through this. In my case, Doctors have suspected seizures since the age of 12 (12 years ago) but no diagnosis until recently which has left me with temporal sclerosis of both temporal lobes. (And possible tumor in LTL) This is a very scary situation that luckily I have had time to prepare for. It is very unsettling knowing this is one of the most important organs in your body and they found something wrong with it. The fact that I have to take medís to calm my brain kind of makes me feel like a Ďdamaged personí and I often worry if I will be able to care for my child or if she will have the task of caring for me. The fact of the matter is, you never know what is going to happen tomorrow. This is something that you cannot control and you have to make peace with that and NOT put yourself or others in danger. (Driving) Although I know you may feel like a burden, and yes Iíve also had to deal with the criticism with family members, but they are not in your shoes and would never really understand otherwise.

I would try also to limit your goggling as I have found that a lot of info on there is worst case. Confine in you neuro and write down questions as they come and talk to him/or her because everybodyís is different. From what I understand about MTS, they will try you on medís and try to control your seizures therefore no more scar tissue will develop. If they can not find a combination of medís over an extended period of time, then they would consider surgery but only if you qualify. (Prepare for a battery of tests) (I am by no means a doctor but itís just my understanding)

Hopefully you have paid medical leave; companies differ, as I know that is causing you a lot of stress as well. Take time for yourself, try no to worry and just appreciate the life that you have so beautifully been blessed with. There are great people here and hopefully now you will not feel so alone in this situation.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Smile Re: New here and just had my first seizure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalamoore View Post
Hi all,
I just came across this board when surfing the web for info on the seizure I had two and a half weeks ago. I am still waiting to see my neurologist so that I can get a diagnosis. My seizure was at work and was a grand mal (tonic clonic?) type. I was taken to the ER by ambulance and had a CT scan, which was normal, and an MRI which showed that I possibly have mesiotemporal sclerosis. Does anyone here have that? From what I have read there isn't any medication for it and surgery is the way to go! Sounds scary to me, to have someone messing with my brain
Also, my regular doctor won't let me work until I see the neurologist, which won't be until May 26th!!! Needless to say I will be on the phone today to try and get an earlier appointment or with someone else. I can't be out of work that long. I can't drive either for six months (by law, here in Maine) which I can understand but still is a nuisance. We live in a rural area and there's no public transport.
I do have a question though. I was not aware of any warning that I was going to have a seizure. Is that normal? A warning would be nice, I think! I fell heavily onto my shoulder, on a hardwood floor. If I ever have another one, and I hope I don't, it would be nice to be able to at least lie down first,
Would love to hear from anyone else who has this mesiotemporal sclerosis, so that I can find out more about it. I have done some googling but first hand would be awesome,
Judie

Welcome to our boards Judie, and I must say You finally found the perfect person to guide you and answer your questions since I suffred from the same illness and underwent surgery almost 2 yrs now. My name is Laura, 28, and when i was 5 I had bumpped my head, but never had it checked until 6yrs later I began having grand mal seizures. Ill stop here for now. First step is to get the EEG, and MRI done so neuro can know where your seizures are coming from. I was diagnosed with Mesial Sclerosis (dead brain tissue) which caused my simple partial seizures...at 15 but even though they spoke about surgery, many other exams had to take place, and different meds must be used first to see if they can help. Im my case everything failed, so after studying about the surgery I underwent RIGHT ANTERIOR TEMPORAL LOBECTOMY a quarter of my brain above my right ear was romoved, but thankfully 23 months post-surgery Im still free Begin by keeping a diary of all your episodes, where, when, dates & times of all your attacks as best as you can remember, and bring it with you to your next neuro appoint, this will help him understand timing and what happens during your attacks, then he compares it with your test. Trust me it will take time before any decisions are made. anyways, Im still on meds until I see my neuro next month. But yes Its difficult and confussing at first but thats why Im here to help you and answer your questions to the best of my understanding, trust me I learned so much through those yrs, but nothing should be rushed. Best of luck

laura

Last edited by 030free; 03-16-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: add

Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

JulJul22 HB User

Hello again Judie,
I hope you are feeling better today. May I ask you if you have ever had a history of migraines or headaches that may have hinted that something was amiss? Do you have a family history?

I hope I didnít come across as ignorant in any way in my last post but the truth is, I am dealing with the same questions, worries and family issues as you are right now. My boyfriend has been as understanding as possible, and my family doesnít know anything about epilepsy so they think the doctors have misdiagnosed me. Itís a waste of time trying to explain. The tough part for me is Iíve known for a very long time that Iíve been having seizures. There is nothing else like these (seizures) in the world! People try to relate but they have no idea. I kind of wanted to retaliate and prove to them that Iíve been right all these years but when I found out, the reality hit and it no longer mattered what anyone thought and I pretty much hid and started my medís and did the best that I could to remain optimistic. (Still) I should get my MRI results back Mon. 23rd.

It gives me great hope and comfort hearing the stories and experiences that people have shared here on this board. I canít believe the strength, faith and bravery that these people have. Whatís most important is some people no longer suffer from their seizures but still come back here to give advice, comfort and to once again be a part of something that the rest of the outside world would never understand.

Jules

Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
(female)

koalamoore HB User
Unhappy Re: New here and just had my first seizure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 030free View Post

Hi Laura,
I am so glad to hear of other people's experiences, although of course it would be nice if no one had these experiences to even discuss, .
Ok, now at the ER they did a CT scan which showed up normal (which I understand is fairly normal anyway) and then they did the MRI which showed up the 'possible' mesiotemporal sclerosis. I am wondering if they will repeat that at my appointment at the end of the month to compare the findings? What do you think? Then I am assuming they will do an EEG, which sounds like fun as I have thick, waist length hair and apparently it must be washed but not conditioned prior to the test, . One question I have though, when I have read about mesiotemporal sclerosis it mentions partial seizures, but I had a grand mal (tonic clonic?) one. Are the partial ones, the type where you kind of space out for a brief time and then carry on with what you were doing? If so, I haven't had those, not that I am aware of anyway.
I am keeping all my medical stuff re this seizure all together, including a written report from my co-worker who was with me when it happened. She wrote a very descriptive account which is wonderful, since it was a very surreal experience for me, . Very strange having people ask you questions that you can't answer or even guess at - my name for instance,
Anyway, I don't particularly want any surgery or even meds if I can get away with it, but of course I will do whatever I am told.
Thanks for sharing with me!
hugs,
Judie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 030free View Post

Welcome to our boards Judie, and I must say You finally found the perfect person to guide you and answer your questions since I suffred from the same illness and underwent surgery almost 2 yrs now. My name is Laura, 28, and when i was 5 I had bumpped my head, but never had it checked until 6yrs later I began having grand mal seizures. Ill stop here for now. First step is to get the EEG, and MRI done so neuro can know where your seizures are coming from. I was diagnosed with Mesial Sclerosis (dead brain tissue) which caused my simple partial seizures...at 15 but even though they spoke about surgery, many other exams had to take place, and different meds must be used first to see if they can help. Im my case everything failed, so after studying about the surgery I underwent RIGHT ANTERIOR TEMPORAL LOBECTOMY a quarter of my brain above my right ear was romoved, but thankfully 23 months post-surgery Im still free Begin by keeping a diary of all your episodes, where, when, dates & times of all your attacks as best as you can remember, and bring it with you to your next neuro appoint, this will help him understand timing and what happens during your attacks, then he compares it with your test. Trust me it will take time before any decisions are made. anyways, Im still on meds until I see my neuro next month. But yes Its difficult and confussing at first but thats why Im here to help you and answer your questions to the best of my understanding, trust me I learned so much through those yrs, but nothing should be rushed. Best of luck

laura

Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
(female)

koalamoore HB User

Hi Jules,
I am feeling better, less fatigued, day by day! I have had a history of migraines, probably a 20 year span of them, but they have subsided to very mild migraines now, if there is such a thing as a mild migraine. They certainly aren't as debilitating as they used to be. There is no history of seizures or migraines in my immediate family - that I am aware of anyway.
You came across as very informed and sympathetic in your last post
I am sorry to hear of the situation you are dealing with, with your family, that must be hard, especially knowing you were aware you had the seizures but having them not be supportive. I am lucky that my husband's son, who is now an adult, has had seizures since he was a child, so therefore my hubby is familiar with what may happen with me, even though he didn't witness me having the seizure. At least he is supportive and is listening to me vent and process out loud, the whole thing,
I hope your results are good too on the 23rd!
hugs,
Judie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulJul22 View Post
Hello again Judie,
I hope you are feeling better today. May I ask you if you have ever had a history of migraines or headaches that may have hinted that something was amiss? Do you have a family history?

I hope I didnít come across as ignorant in any way in my last post but the truth is, I am dealing with the same questions, worries and family issues as you are right now. My boyfriend has been as understanding as possible, and my family doesnít know anything about epilepsy so they think the doctors have misdiagnosed me. Itís a waste of time trying to explain. The tough part for me is Iíve known for a very long time that Iíve been having seizures. There is nothing else like these (seizures) in the world! People try to relate but they have no idea. I kind of wanted to retaliate and prove to them that Iíve been right all these years but when I found out, the reality hit and it no longer mattered what anyone thought and I pretty much hid and started my medís and did the best that I could to remain optimistic. (Still) I should get my MRI results back Mon. 23rd.

It gives me great hope and comfort hearing the stories and experiences that people have shared here on this board. I canít believe the strength, faith and bravery that these people have. Whatís most important is some people no longer suffer from their seizures but still come back here to give advice, comfort and to once again be a part of something that the rest of the outside world would never understand.

Jules

Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Hi Judie,
To start not all seizures are the same and because your's just started onky time and test such as the EEg will let the neuro know what type of seizures you actually have. My first seizure was aslo a grand mal and then they changed to petite, and the reason was because I had no meds in my system yet to help me. The meds helped me to not have more grand mals, but I stilled had minor seizures every month, and I used to have "auras" a warning sing so I knew when I was going to have one, except when I was sleeping (yeah, the seizures would wake me up). Anyways, to answer your other question, they will defenetly do the EEG test, and no its not fun nor easy to get rid of the glue especially with long hair. i have had more then 20 done in my life and more to come when i decide to get off these meds this year. All I can say is keep timing your attacks, when in the month do they happen, what u think causes them to start, and so on. Mine where hormonal related, so every month I got them, since I had mesial clerosis, meds would penetrate that area of my brain, pushing me to have surgery, but your case might be different, lets wait and see only time will tell, and hopefully the meds they start you on can help you first...

laura

Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
(female)

koalamoore HB User

Thanks Laura,
I am feeling more reassured since joining this list and not so worried. I have been feeling very insecure out in public and have had hubby go with me everywhere, lol. I did go into Joann fabrics alone and felt nervous - he didn't want to go into a 'womens' store, lol, but would have if I had insisted! Plus I have a bag with a spare pair of undies and jeans, just in case, lol. I had another question too, how many of you wear a medical bracelet, if any? I was wondering if I should wear one or not? Perhaps I'll wait until after my appt and see what is what with me. I do feel kind of neurotic since I have only had one seizure and you have had so many and are taking it in your stride! Thanks so much for the support,
hugs,
Judie

Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

To Koalamoore; Yes, I would recommend getting an ID bracelet or necklace. There are several styles to choose from. You never know where you're going to be and if something happens an EMT will look for this and be able to know what you're problem is. You will also be able to ID the meds that you take and what you are allergic to even if it doesn't pertain the the epilepsy. I started having these seizures 6 yrs ago as part of menopause. You don't say your age. I have found that these things can start either at puberty or menopause because of the changes going on with the hormones. Have your hormones checked for estrogen & progesterone levels. Also ask to have your magnesium and Vit B6 levels checked. These could be deficient and you may benefit from a supplement. Look up an article on the web by Ward Dean, MD " A Nutritional Approach to Controlling Seizures". It is very interesting to see how amino acids tie in with these seizures. Also, be careful of fluorescent lights, computer games and computers in general, MSG, Aspartame, and lack of sleep. I have also found that smells, cigarette smoke, perfume, gas fumes, etc. can trigger the seizures for me. Noisy atmospheres, large crowds and electromagnetic fields are also triggers. My type of epilepsy is called Catamenial Epilepsy. It's related to the menstrual cycle. I'm hoping it all goes away after menopause. The full moon also brings on the seizures. Keep a calendar (one with the moon cycles on it) and write down all of your seizures, auras, etc. and see if they coincide with the moon or your cycles. Be careful of the meds because the Keppra that I take has the same side-effects as low blood sugar. Sometimes if I don't eat on time I have a seizure because my sugar is getting low. I've never been controlled on meds. Apply for disability and fight for it if you need to with a lawyer. This has taken away my independence. I'm lucky to have a good church to help me get to where I need to go. I hope you have a good support network. If not, get involved with a good church and rely on these people as needed.
Good Luck and stay safe.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-18-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 03-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalamoore View Post
Thanks Laura,
I am feeling more reassured since joining this list and not so worried. I have been feeling very insecure out in public and have had hubby go with me everywhere, lol. I did go into Joann fabrics alone and felt nervous - he didn't want to go into a 'womens' store, lol, but would have if I had insisted! Plus I have a bag with a spare pair of undies and jeans, just in case, lol. I had another question too, how many of you wear a medical bracelet, if any? I was wondering if I should wear one or not? Perhaps I'll wait until after my appt and see what is what with me. I do feel kind of neurotic since I have only had one seizure and you have had so many and are taking it in your stride! Thanks so much for the support,
hugs,
Judie

Judie,

I dont want you to get overwhelmed yet especially since you dont have a specific diagnosis by your neurologist, so lets take this step by step, so you dont feel so stressed. Im not knocking others' input but its your first time expiriencing these attackas and it you are found epileptic and meds are prescribed the process is long so lets not rush. First, you can start to check out the websites on the brecelts if you would like one for when your neuro diagnosis you, but dont get one yet, I bought one years after I was diagnosed but never used it, since my seizures changed and I was never alone, and I knew when I was going to have a attack, and I knew How to take care of myself, never fainted Thank God. Only your Neuro can best answer this question for you ones you have been diagnosed and you understand your body and timing of your attacks (hope your following ) anyways, I also had people go w me everywhere I went when I was first diagnosed, and my mom was so scared, but this is normal at first because you havent adjusted to such change, but although its an uncomfortable illness, you shouldnt live 24/7 afraid of it, or getting sick again because your stressing yourbrain without realizing it. Lets wait to speak to your neuro, yes go out with your hubby if you need someone to drive you somewhere, but dont feel like you cant do things for yourself, because its not healthy, We'll worry about the effects of the outside world after you've been diagnosed. When is your neuro appoint?

laura

Last edited by 030free; 03-18-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add

Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
(female)

slsmith1122 HB User

laura....what was your experience of simple complex seiz?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsmith1122 View Post
laura....what was your experience of simple complex seiz?
I had simple partial seizures and I had auras prior to getting them when I was awake. I say while I was awake, because 90% of my seizures occured while I was asleep. Durring a spell, I would blank out, I would (according to others) ask for water and drink in order for the seizure to go away. They would last 10-15 secs, and I would sleep for hours after. I had them every month prior to my cycles. I took care of my self for yrs, attended college, and drove with no problems. This is why I say seizures and treatment change depending on the person and their treatment. Yes I tried up to 7 different types of meds trhough out the years, but non helped, so surgery was the only solution. Hope this answers your question...

laura

Last edited by 030free; 03-19-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add

Closed Thread