It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

PuzzledinNC HB User
Lightbulb Seizures due to Wellbutrin Not Epilepsy - worried about driving

Last week, I began a new prescription of Wellbutrin as well as a prescription diet pill (same nurse practioner). I was prescribed 900 mg of wellbutrin and the "average" amount of Botril. On the way to driving my son to preschool, I had a grand mal seizure. I then had 2 additional grand mal seizures in the emergency room. My ER physician seems confident that the seizures are due to the Wellbutrin, but told me that I was not allowed to drive for 6 mos because of the risk of seizure. I am now (as of that day) off of all prescription medication (no wellbutrin, no diet pills, etc). I can not fin any law that precludes me from driving nor does the DMV have any record of my seizure of the event at all. Since my EEG, MRI and the ER's doctor's opinion indicate that the sizures were medication related, why can't I drive? I have an appointment with my neurologist tomorrow (follow up set up by the hospital). I'd liked to be armed with as much information as possible to allow his blessing of my driving privileges. If I had one shadow of a doubt that I would put myself, my children or anyone else in harm's way the possibility of another seizure, I would not do it. Never had seizures before, and only had them (within a 3 hour timeframe) of my taking the 900 mg (as prescribed) of Wellbutrin. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Seizures due to Wellbutrin Not Epilepsy - worried about driving

I looked up Wellbutrin on the web and it says it's for SAD or depression. It also said the side-effects were seizures, which you had. How unfortunate. If you are depressed I would suggest you have your Vit B12 levels checked. A person I know felt depressed and had his levels checked and now that he gets a B12 shot regularly he doesn't feel depressed anymore. As for the driving, if the Dr. told you not to drive you shouldn't until you are sure that these won't happen again. I totaled my car last June because I had a seizure while driving because my seizure meds don't work. I just had 2 today! Be careful with the neurologist too because they might want to put you on seizure meds and you may not need them. They may want to do EEG & MRI to be sure there's nothing else going on in your brain. You don't say your age but if you're over 30 you might want to have your hormone levels checked. That is what is the cause of my seizures - MENOPAUSE!! Try to get your neurotransmitters tested as well to see if there might be imbalances with amino acids & minerals. You might be better off going to an alternative/holistic doctor because the neurologists only want to prescribe meds. They don't want to look outside the box. Let's hope they agree with the Wellbutrin being the culprit. Not being able to drive will change your life dramatically especially if you don't have public transportation available and a good support group. Good Luck.
Give it a good fight with the docs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Seizures due to Wellbutrin Not Epilepsy - worried about driving

Obviously your doctor didn't turn you in to the DMV so as far as they are concerned you are legal to drive. What the doctor told you is only to protect himself from any lawsuit that might happen if you were to have a seizure in case he is wrong in his diagnosis. So it is up to you just know the doctor is only protecting himself so has no choice but to tell you what he did...however it was his own personal opinion. Do what you want to do.

Closed Thread