It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
(female)

cdknmjk HB User
EEG "Normal" For 4-Year Old Son

Happy Friday! I've posted a few things over the last couple of days regarding my 4 year old son's first seizure. The EEG came back normal but they want to re-test in 3 months. Our doctor is out until Tuesday so we won't be able to speak with him until next week.

Is it good the EEG came back normal? I know in many cases a normal result just means no seizure activity was present during the test. However, isn't a normal result still a good sign? Also, why would they want to re-test in 3 months...just to be on the safe side?

Thank you! Happy Easter to all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
(male)

nate56 HB User
Re: EEG "Normal" For 4-Year Old Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdknmjk View Post
Happy Friday! I've posted a few things over the last couple of days regarding my 4 year old son's first seizure. The EEG came back normal but they want to re-test in 3 months. Our doctor is out until Tuesday so we won't be able to speak with him until next week.

Is it good the EEG came back normal? I know in many cases a normal result just means no seizure activity was present during the test. However, isn't a normal result still a good sign? Also, why would they want to re-test in 3 months...just to be on the safe side?

Thank you! Happy Easter to all.
yes its a good sign but seizures have brain waves when you have seizures.
ive had it for 50 years. any other questions id be glad to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
(female)

cdknmjk HB User

We ran into the Tech who performed the EEG at the grocery store on Saturday. She must have thought we already spoke to our son's doctor, which we didn't, and told us his EEG looked perfect and his seizure must have been a fluke. Again, our son hit his head the night of the seizure. Are they able to determine that it was a fluke based on the EEG? Would it show something to indicate that he's in perfect health?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
(female)

kimboly22 HB User

I would Talk to your Doctor if have already not. My son just started having seizures 4 weeks ago. He has had 2 EEG and had a seizure on both. and 2 MRI coming back normal each time on that. But the EEGs all Doctors tell us they are normal. Having the seizure while on the EEG just shows them the part of the brain the seizure came from. I am new to this, but being a mother just like you its a whole new world. in just this short 4 weeks we have called our doctor for every little thing.But my son is only 18 mths and cant always tell us what is wrong. I hope this helps and please dont let it scare you. I will tell you this we was asked a lot if our son had just hit his head. Cause pumping your head hard enough can cause seizures. We was also told could cause them to last a day or yrs just from a pump. If that has not already been told you.

Thanks
Kim

Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
(female)

madigirl59 HB User

I have had seizures since I was 2 years old. I am now 28 years old. I have only had 2 seizures in the last 10 years, but those 2 have been in the last year. One was "stressed induced" and one was induced by me taking demerol(it lowers the seizure threshhold).

Anyways, that all being said....I have had at least 10 EEGs and they have never been able to find anything abnormal on them. I am now a RN and am very interested in seizure activity, so I have been trying to read boards and websites. Just because the EEG is normal, does not mean that there will be no more seizures. It is positive in the the fact that there is no visible problems with the brain, but keep an eye out and let everyone know that your son has indeed had a seizure before.

I hope that this was a one time thing, but always be aware that this can happen again and its best to err on the side of safety.

Closed Thread