It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Qualifying handicapped with epilepsy

Have any of you tried applying for a placard under the disability of epilepsy?

One of the state qualifying criteria is "because of disability cannot walk without significant risk of falling". (Then explain what that risk is...)

The others are much more obvious, cardiovascular, limb impairment, on oxygen, chair bound, etc...

I took that listing to the wide reading and said I have a great risk of falling at any given time due to (neurological) condition. And fall may cause head trauma and broken bones.

Have any of you that can otherwise walk without issue been able to obtain the parking pass from the state?

Give me your luck with the system and comments.

--Travis

Old 05-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: Qualifying handicapped with epilepsy

Let me reply to my own then. Due to having "controlled" seizures, I can't qualify under the "risk of falling" criteria to obtain the handicapped permit from my neurologist as the doctor that would sign off on it.

Bummer. Thought that would be enough qualifying. Even as a well controlled patient seizures can happen. My doc was going by last time I had a full blown GM. Not SP or less than GM's (which I have had lesser seizures in the last few years).

TBI being the brain tumor, seizures, other condition, tumor on optic nerve. Maybe state would take it; I just need a doctor to sign off on the permit!

Oh well.

Thought I'd update y'all on what happened on my attempt and the state criteria I tried using to qualify under.

--Travis

Last edited by Travis from MN; 05-21-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

I need one of those placards hanging in the master bath! Or, "Watch for Falling Objects!" (me being the object, of course.)

You brought up an interesting topic...I actually thought about that just the other day, when I was walking through a parking lot and saw a lady pull into a handicapped spot and exit her vehicle. I thought, "Hmm, she looks perfectly healthy to me!" But, her disability could be anything.

When I was in the hospy for my VEEG I had to wear a "special" red bracelet in addition to my hospital bracelet that read "Fall Risk." So who is to say I can't fall in a parking lot?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Dogmom, if a woman is PREGNANT she can obtain a handicapped placard in my state!!! Isn't THAT mind blowing.

Myself, a person who had a brain tumor, (surgery) and seizures as a result can't qualify, but if a person gets pregnant they CAN!!!

The words I want to say would get filtered on most web sites... (laugh).

Oh well. You just have to Doctor shop to find the one that will sign the form for you.

--Travis

Last edited by Travis from MN; 05-30-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: can't spell

Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I was able to get the placard after being in the hospital. The doctor signed the slip, I walked to the courthouse handed it to the clerk and was handed 2 temp's, and will be given 2 permanents (6 years) within 30 days. I printed out the section of the law with the state code in it so the doctor could read it and see what I was seeing that I thought I qualified. He, and the other supervising doctor concurred!!

I'll have one on my person, and one will be with my folks when they are transporting me being I don't live with them. So they can store it in the glove compartment and use it when I am in the car and I don't need to bring mine and lose it. Thus the reason for 2 placards.

So you CAN obtain it if you try people.

Dogmom, I had the same lovely FALL PRECAUTION band on my wrist the week I was in the hospital as well. Lovely restriction I found out. Had to figure out how to do stretches to keep the legs flexible and arms as well. They once thought I was having a seizure when I was reaching out to keep my arms in good condition.

--Travis

Closed Thread