It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
(male)

stevefromsd HB User
In hindsight, when the solution was simple...

Does it make you mad when looking back on it, you could have prevented a great percentage of your seizures with a few easy changes? In the last three years, I don't want to say all of my seizures could have been prevented but a large percentage of them could have been and were caused by three things:

1) Too much caffeine-plain and simple. I would go to Starbuck's EVERY day for breakfast the last 3 or more years and get a Mocha Frappuccino. It started out with a grande size (115 mg of caffeine) and when that wasn't enough I started getting the venti size (165 mg of caffeine. On a number of days if I was stressed at work I would get two and sometimes three Frappuccinos. Once I greatly reduced the amount of caffeine I take in a week (I only let myself get one Frappuccino a week now), I actually felt like I was much more stabilized and less likely to have a seizure. I had just forgotten what it was like to NOT be on caffeine all the time. I even read about people who DON'T have Epilepsy having seizures because they drank too many of those energy drinks that contain Caffeine and Guarana.

2) Antihistamines-Specifically, Benadryl. When I got in a car accident that caused me to lose my driver's license, I was on Benadryl. I was also using Benadryl to help me fall asleep and on several occasions I would know I had a seizure because I would wake up on the floor or couch. I was never told that first generation antihistamines (which includes Benadryl) can cause people to have seizures. Even people who DON'T have Epilepsy.

3) My computer (I'll explain)-After I lost my driver's license for awhile, my then Dr. put my on Keppra to get my seizures under control again. During that time, I had three seizures while I was on my computer scrolling through the text of an article. What would happen is the text would move up the screen, then stop, and, move up the screen, then stop again. Over and over again. This would cause the part of my brain that processes visual things to go into a partial complex seizure. At the time, I thought it was a side effect of the Keppra and the Keppra was simply not working.

Here's the part that is annoying-the reason my computer was doing this while I was scrolling through the text was it didn't have a driver for the video card. Once I downloaded the driver for my computer's video card, the text moved smoothly up and down the screen. It was that simple. After that, I didn't have any seizures from using that computer. I had actually gone back to my Window's 2000 computer for over a year because it never had that problem.

That's my story on when the answer to controlling a great percentage of my seizures was for the most part-simple.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread