It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

XJMasonX HB User
Question Could I be having seizures in my sleep?

I'm only 15 and often wake up with soreness in my neck legs and back, but i always figured i just slept in an awkward position.
It wasn't until recently that I suspected something was wrong:

I fell asleep and began having a gruesome dream, ending with me hyperventilating, when i believe i woke up because i looked up at the clock, but i continued to have shortness of breath. I started seeing brightly coloured spots everywhere then things started getting really dark, and my jaw was clenched, i lost control of my hands, my back started to really arch, and weird noises were coming from my mouth

After what i believe was about 10 or so seconds, i snapped out of it and was terrified, especially that it would happen again. The time on the clock was about 15 minutes after the time i saw beforehand, so i figured it was just a really bad dream.

this happened about 3 times and I'm beginning to think they're more than nightmares because of the research I've done, and i found some people have similar symptoms as me. I have never wet myself in bet, or bit myself until i bled, so is it serious enough i should go to my doctor about it??

Im scared to make a big deal of it if I'm just having bad dreams...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Could I be having seizures in my sleep?

XJMasonX: Yes, it is possible for you to be having seizures in your sleep. Nocturnal seizures. How old were you when you started menstruating? There is a type of epilepsy called Catamenial Epilepsy. It occurs either at puberty or menopause. For me, it's menopause. The seizures happen right before, during and after your period. Keep track of your seizures and auras on a calendar and keep track of when you start your period and see if there is any correlation. This will be helpful for a doctor to understand the connection between them both.

I would suggest that you see an endocrinologist and even better if you can see a neuro-endocrinologist. Have your hormones tested by the doctor and see what your levels are. It may be that you need to have some progesterone supplements to help reduce the seizures. For me, I found out that I am Estrogen Dominant. I have too much estrogen on the brain and that is what is causing these seizures at menopause. If I had been put on HRT when the seizures started, instead of AED's, I might have been able to get a better control on them. Now I can't take the progesterone because it interferes with the Phenobarbital that I'm on.

Also, keep track of whether or not these seizures are happening around the moon cycles. I find that I have them right around the NEW MOON and for three days after the FULL MOON!! Yes, it sounds weird, but I have it documented. It's the electromagnetic pull from the Earth. Also, beware of triggers like MSG, fluorescent lights, cigarette smoke, cleaning chemicals, perfumes, lack of sleep, the sun, and EMF's. I've had seizures while talking on the cordless phone! EMF's!!!! All the cell phones out there these days are adding to the EMF's we're exposed to as well.

I don't have any warnings with my seizures. I realize I've had one when I either can't remember a conversation I was having with someone, I've spilled drinks on myself, I can't remember where I am and feel like I'm in a foreign place, or I feel that I have bitten my lower lip. I've woken up in the morning soaked because I've had a seizure during the night and grabbed my water bottle and crush it and it spills all over me.

I've been on several different meds, some which have given me allergic reactions. The meds I'm on now have the same side effects as low blood sugar - dizziness, anxiousness, hunger, fast heartbeat, blurred vision, headaches, fatigue, and irritability.

I've found that I'm drinking more caffeine now than I ever used to, because it gives me a lift, because the meds make me too drowsy and I need to be able to function to some degree. It's a vicious cycle. I'm told that this could all go away once menopause is over. I have a friend that had these seizures at a young age and had 5 kids and she stopped having the seizures once she HIT menopause!! Just the opposite.

Alot of it could be related to environmental contaminants, gas fumes, chemicals in our foods, they're called xenoestrogens. They raise the level of estrogen in women. This is why people are going organic whenever possible, to reduce the amount of exposure. It's hard to do, but it could be worth it. Check your family history. I found out I had 3 cousins, all sisters, who had these problems. Two started at puberty and one always had migraines right before her period. She told me the migraines went away when she went through menopause.

I would also recommend that you have your neurotransmitters tested. You might need to see a more natural doctor to have this done. I also had a hair analysis done, where they sent my hair off to a lab, and found that I was low in magnesium and selenium.
You could have a vitamin analysis done as well. The neurotransmitter test revealed that I was low in Beta-PEA, Taurine, and Serotonin. I was high in MSG!!! Beta PEA is Beta-Phenylethylamine. It's an excitatory transmitter that plays an important role in concentration and brain function. Research it.

I also found out that my Mitochondria were out of whack. Mitochondria are the fuel for our cells. They help in metabolism. Every time I have a seizure I'm losing brain cells.
Once they're lost you can't get them back. You don't realize until you've got problems like this how much your hormones are in control of your brain.

The first time I had any symptoms I was sitting at my kitchen table reading the newspaper and I had this weird tingling/burning feeling go from the base of my skull right up the left side of my head. Then people were telling me I was acting weird.

Last year was almost the end of the road for me. I had a seizure while driving and totaled my car. Now I can't get my license reinstated until I'm 6 mo. seizure free. That could be years. I know you probably don't have your license yet because you're only 15 years old. Please be cautious with this because you don't want to ruin your life or anyone elses. It's life changing for sure not being able to come and go as you please.

You need to probably get an EEG and a Cat Scan to see if there's anything else going on in your head. I was told that I have a scar on the right front part of the brain. At first that's what the doctors said was the reason for the seizures. Now they believe me that it's hormonal because I've kept track of when they happen. Some people are controlled by medications so don't discount that route. A neurologist is going to prescribe a pill, that's what they're trained to do. Seek alternatives before you go the pill route. Some people are even controlled just taking birth control pills because it helps balance the hormones.

I know this is alot of information for you to take in. I'm here to help and listen and discuss this with you. This is a great forum to get help through. I hope you are also being open with your parents on all of this. I wish you luck. Take care and stay in touch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

XJMasonX HB User

92261, thank you so much for your insight. Now that I think of it, they did happen around the full moon, but a clear week after my menstrual period ended. My problem is that those three happened so suddenly, and i can't think of much else that may have caused them to all happen in such a tight time-frame.

I find it so odd that electromagnetic pull can cause an increase in seizures but i am definitely more interested on the moon cycles which i never really paid attention to until now!

So are your seizures triggered by more than the brain tissue scar? Was anyone hurt in the car accident? I'm currently taking Drivers Ed and if I find out I can't drive before I even start, I'll be pretty disappointed, haha. I do hope I find out what the deal is before I actually get behind the wheel.

I'm now considering getting an EEG, but aren't they really expensive?
I haven't been very open towards my parents, mostly because right when i mentioned researching nocturnal epilepsy, my mom chastised me for thinking I always have a problem, even though the only problem i ever proposed was Low Blood Pressure, which I was recently diagnosed with.

Last edited by XJMasonX; 11-10-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

XJMasonX, You need to show your mother what I said. This is nothing to fool with. If you are having seizures you need medical help. The EEG should be covered by any health insurance you have. It's done as an outpatient procedure. I also had a 48 hour EEG where they send you home with electrodes attached to your head to record what's going on during different times of the day, especially when you're sleeping.

No one was hurt in my accident, thank God!! I was alone in the car and I don't remember any of it! I had a station wagon so I had some metal to save me, plus the air bag went off and I had my seat belt on. I ended up with a whiplash and a bruised ankle and now I just have some soreness in my knuckles on my right hand and neck pain from time to time.

The other thing you might want to consider is getting a medical I.D. bracelet to wear if you are diagnosed as an epileptic. I can remember when I was coming to in the accident that the EMT's pointed to my bracelet and it was helpful for them to know that I had seizures and it tells what meds I take. You really need to be under control with these things before you get behind the wheel. You're young and have a long life ahead of you. Do the research on the Catamenial Epilepsy and show that to your mother. She would be amazed!!!! If she won't listen to you, what about your father or another relative that can help convince her that you're not making things up. Yes, sometimes teenagers can over react and come across as whiny and make people think the world is ending. You have to remember, too, that your brain is still developing through these years. That is an issue whether you're having seizures or not. The other person you might be able to confide in would be the school nurse. She might be able to talk to your mother and give some advice. Be aware too that the schools are loaded with fluorescent lights!!!! I can't stand them anymore. Make sure you're getting enough sleep too.

I have low blood pressure too, but that doesn't play too much of a part here for me. What that does to me is make me feel cold all the time.

You said you weren't sure of any other triggers that could have caused these seizures after the full moon. What about what you're eating? Can you recall if you were eating anything with MSG, like Chinese food? MSG is in alot of foods. It's disguised as "ADDED FLAVORING" It's in salad dressing, crackers, canned soups, any processed food! They put it there to make things taste good!!! Also, do you drink diet soda? Diet soda has Aspartame in it!! It's poison!! Aspartame lowers the Taurine level in you. You're better off having real sugar instead of anything "SUGAR FREE". I have a diabetic son and I won't let him have much that is "DIET". It's loaded with the stuff. These are the hidden chemicals that are playing games with our hormones. Red meat could be a culprit too. Look at all the hormones they put in our meat these days.

I wish you luck. Stay in touch. Tell your mother I'm more than willing to chat with her if I have to. How old is she anyway? Is she menopausal??? I'm here for you.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
(female)

Snowbird81 HB User

I have suffered from noctural grand mal seizures for 13 years. I can understand what you are talking about when you described the "dreaming" feeling. Everytime I have a seizure I feel like I am dreaming and I can't breathe, almost like I am under water. I am unaware that I am seizing but my husband is pretty good of pulling me out of them. I am really sore afterwards and my body shakes for about 10 or 15 minutes after the seizure is done. At times I am unable to walk for about 30 minutes following the seizure and my speak is also affected at time also.

If you are taking the time to post on here about this and it's happened more then once, you need to see a doctor and make sure there isn't an underlying problem causing these episodes. And perhaps, if it is a seizure, just a good anti-eleptic med will make them stop.

Good luck...

Closed Thread