It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

sarahfhug HB User
Grand mal - driving?

I have recently had one grand mal epilepsy attack, hopefully will not have anymore, also suffered from temporal lobe epilepsy in the past but not been on medication for several years. I am a long term driver and wish to continue, does anyone know if i am able to do so and/or if there are any steps i should be taking? Thanks

Old 04-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Grand mal - driving?

Sarah: are your seizures controlled by meds? If they're not, then I'd be careful because you don't want to end up like me and have an accident and then lose your license. Talk to your doctor about it. He should know whether or not it's safe for you to drive. I can't get my license back until I'm 6 mo. seizure free. I haven't been 5 years seizure free!!!!!!!!!!!! Meds don't work!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Check the resources on the Web. States have different standards in how they regulate drivers whom have "loss of consciousness" and even how they define "seizures". I have yet to see a state that gives "passes" to licensed drivers who have seizures. I have noted that some give diabetics waivers if there has been a recent "change in therapy".

A portion of the states even REQUIRE doctors to report (to the state) if a patient has had a seizure. Thankfully the majority do not allow for that.

Do some research online and see what your states laws are.

--Travis

Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
(female)

heyloe HB Userheyloe HB Userheyloe HB User

I know where I live if you have a seizure (not only while driving) and notify your Dr. or go to a hospital they by law are obligated to send a report to the Ministry of Transportation and you will have your license suspended for a minimum of 1 year seizure free- minimum because they can review it and turn you down through a medical board. That is why I have never had the opportunity to have a drivers license. I would never trust putting myself behind the wheel of a car anyways...I've read about some people getting warnings before a seizure, well I'm absolutely NOT one of them...I'd just be a danger to everyone around. I've got my Birkenstocks and my Schwinn Cruiser- it's all I need!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
(male)

James1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyloe View Post
I know where I live if you have a seizure (not only while driving) and notify your Dr. or go to a hospital they by law are obligated to send a report to the Ministry of Transportation and you will have your license suspended for a minimum of 1 year seizure free- minimum because they can review it and turn you down through a medical board. That is why I have never had the opportunity to have a drivers license. I would never trust putting myself behind the wheel of a car anyways...I've read about some people getting warnings before a seizure, well I'm absolutely NOT one of them...I'd just be a danger to everyone around. I've got my Birkenstocks and my Schwinn Cruiser- it's all I need!
Very Similar where I am from which is Manitoba Canada. I had a seizure at work went to the hospital, the doctor there told me that my drivers license was officially invalid as of that moment. I had to wait until I was seizure free for 1 year. After getting it back everything was fine for a few years, until I had another seizure at work, (Not my only seizure, but when it happens at a job they generally call an ambulance) This time I had to be seizure free for 2 years. Finally after being seizure free for 2 years I got it back. I was great for around 3 years following that, then I had my first seizure while driving down the TransCanada Hiway. I was once again taken to the hospital by ambulance only to have the doctor tell me that I no longer could drive. This time when the letter came confirming it, it didn't give a time frame. I essentially have had my license removed indefinately. Kind of a 3 strikes your out situation. I am not all that comfortable driving now anyways. It's one thing to drop when you are in an office, and a completely different story when you are driving a car!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
(female)

heyloe HB Userheyloe HB Userheyloe HB User

I'm Canadian too, not from Manitoba, but still we do have similar rules but I'm honestly not sure about the number of times you need to be suspended before losing it for good- never had one to begin with...
I agree with the laws myself and even now almost a full year grand mal seizure free and no major seizure to report to my Dr. (just complex partial and simple partial and the complex are bad enough) I would never put anyone in jeopardy by getting behind the wheel of a car. I have kids too and would never let them in a car with me, nor would I want to be responsible for the injury or death of an innocent person due to my wanting to drive. Like I have told so many people who ask if it bothers me not driving- I've got feet and I use them! Plus, I can't even imagine what I would pay for insurance if I ever did get my license!!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Art_930 HB User

Frankly, I don't want you on the road if you're having grand mals. You could kill yourself. You could kill innocent folks. And you could make it much harder for the rest of us to drive who have jumped through hoops and are controlled on medication.

In Minnesota, I was required to stop driving for 6 months. After that 6-month period, my neurologist had to sign a statement that my seizures were controlled and that he approved my driving for another 6 months. Then again for another 6 months. And another 6 months. Then for 1 year. Believe me, if he had any indication that my seizures are not controlled he would immediately contact the DMV and have my licence suspended. Both for my good and everyone else on the road.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I know my previous Neuro would have in a heartbeat. However, just to place clarification on what Art said, that state does not require doctors to report.

I've had some new ER staff that decided to report on me; that upset me. Dr/patient confidentiality is valued in this state.

--Travis

Closed Thread