It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

mommain HB User
Partial seizure disorder and allergies

My 8yr old was diagnosed with partial seizure disorder in January, after two complex seizures in the fall, one partial seizure in Nov, and MRIs, CT scans, EEG, and finally a 24-hr EEG in the hospital in December. She's been on Lamictal since Jan. No complex seizures since Dec.

She also was diagnosed with severe yr-round allergies and some severe food allergies in Feb.

Her symptoms (seizures, extreme fatigue, migraines, congestion) started after a H1N1-type flu in October, are much better on the allergy medications, and are coming back a little now that a new season of allergies are flaring up.

Can seizures be related to allergies?? Thanks for reading

Old 04-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
(female)

KazaJ HB User
Re: Partial seizure disorder and allergies

Hi, Mommain. According to my pharmacist, it is a strong possibility, although no real proof. My son has suffered with allergies all his life, and had febrile convulsions up until the age of 7. The seizures stopped until 2007, at the age of 22, and he is now on 1000 mg Degranol per day. The allergies seem to have become worse as well. I am sure there is a link, somehow. I wish you and your little girl all the best. It is awful watching your child suffer and not being able to do anything to fix it. I guess, as mothers, the best we can do is just be there for them, and let them know they are much loved. Good luck! KazaJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
(female)

KazaJ HB User

Hi, Mommain. Have you tried acupuncture for your daughter's allergies? I have been taking my son to an acupuncturist for the past 2 months, and the improvement in his allergies is quite incredible! The Dr in question has been completely honest in that he does not think he can cure the epilepsy, but has assured me that he is able to help with the allergies. What a difference this has made to my son's life!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

What type of allergies does your son have? I ask because I also have allergies and seizure disorder. Also, what does the acupuncturist do to your son that improves his health.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
(female)

KazaJ HB User

My son is allergic to just about everything, from house-dust to grass. Cat hair, feathers, pollen (VERY, VERY bad, this one!). He sneezes and coughs for 1 - 2 hours every single morning of his life! His eyes swell up and water like crazy. And since the seizures and dislocations, he very often dislocates one or both shoulders with the violence of his sneezing. (He has learned to re-locate them himself!) The acupuncturist inserts needles (very, very fine fibre-like needles) into various points on his body, from his face (sinus area) to his ankles. He is left to sleep for about an hour, and Dr Lin then removes the needles. Jason says it is almost instantaneous relief, which lasts quite a few days. He has to go every week for now, and gradually decrease to once a month maintenance. Although I am really, really battling to pay for this, it is worth every cent, and I would sell my soul in order to continue with this therapy. Try it, it is an amazing experience.

Closed Thread